Natural Trumpet thoughts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The ensemble of Flatt trumpets and old bones of the Baroque Brass of London in this clip show as clearly as anything the historic relationships of the instruments. After the opening march, the canzona starts around 8:18 if you've no stomach for the chorals.

Still makes me think of Clockwork Orange.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    J. Jericho, rowuk and Kang-Ling like this.
  2. altoid

altoid New Friend

Oct 9, 2017
    Central Jersey
    Thanks!

I have a Kanstul G bugle coming tomorrow, will spend some time with that and then start window shopping for a proper natural trumpet. I'm also starting a Brass for Beginners course for third and fourth graders in my school in January, so I'm excited for that. I already have one of the plastic Tromba BFB trumpets in C that's fun to play.

More here:
    http://www.brassforbeginners.com/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  3. altoid

altoid New Friend

Oct 9, 2017
    Central Jersey
    Kang-Ling likes this.
  4. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    cb5270, Buddy Cooke and altoid like this.
  5. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Mountain West, USA
    It may not be historically correct but I've never heard better baroque trumpet playing than Niklas Eklund.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes, he really had the baroque trumpet mastered but his sound was about as far away from the original as a piccolo trumpet. He was a great influence on a lot of the current orchestral players. A shame that he is not playing anymore and that his website is down.

In any case, he is not a role model for the natural trumpet as all of the goodness in that instrument is not present in his playing. That does not make his playing "unworthy", it just makes it not historically informed.

Kang-Ling likes this.
  7. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Mountain West, USA
    What exactly is it missing, do you mind if I ask?

trumpetnick likes this.
  8. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    I hope that´s not off-topic:
    To begin with, an opportunity to get a affordable natural trumpet is to attend a workshop by Michael Münkwitz / Robert Barclay and make one, or buy one from Cristian Bosc or Münkwitz, or, or, or..(?)

9. altoid

altoid New Friend

Oct 9, 2017
    Central Jersey
    I've been pondering the same thing. It's $1000 or so for materials for the workshop, plus travel, plus hotel, plus food etc. It could easily be another $1000 or more by the time it's all done. Plus the week-long time investment. It would be fun to build my own, but I think I might want to put that $ and time into a professionally built instrument and just learn to play the thing.

10. altoid

altoid New Friend

Oct 9, 2017
    Central Jersey
    I just looked up Bosc. It looks like those are baroque trumpets with vent holes. Not natural...