Navy Bean Soup Recipe

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by bandman, Aug 9, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    When I was a kid I loved Saturdays because my dad would always make a big pot of Navy Bean Soup. It has been 30 years since I had Navy Bean Soup and last week memories of that wonderful saturday treat came back when we had American Navy Bean Soup on our cruise.

I've been looking for a good recipe and these are what I've found. If you happen to have a thick hearty Navy bean recipe I'd love to have it. I wonder if I can make the smell go through the whole house like my father did?

Navy Bean Soup Recipe

A simple navy bean soup made with ham bone or hocks and navy beans, along with chopped vegetables.
    INGREDIENTS:
    · 1 pound navy beans
    · 2 quarts boiling water
    · 2 ham hocks or a meaty ham bone
    · 1/4 cup chopped onion
    · 1/2 cup chopped celery
    · chopped ham or ham from the meaty bone
    · salt and pepper to taste (I add a little seasoned salt along with regular)
    PREPARATION:
    Wash beans; place in a large bowl and add boiling water. Let beans soak for a few hours. Simmer ham bone or hocks with the beans until beans are tender. Remove bones and chop ham. Add chopped onions and celery.
    Add water to make about 1 gallon. Add ham meat, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook about 30 minutes longer. Navy bean soup recipe serves 12 or more.

Crock Pot Navy Bean Soup
    Ingredients
    1 lb. Dried navy beans
    2 cans Broth
    2 cans Diced tomatoes
    1 Onion, chopped
    1 tsp. Paprika
    1 Bay leaf
    1 t. Garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. Thyme
    Pinch cheyanne pepper
    Preparation
    Soak beans overnight. Rinse and drain. Put all ingredients into crockpot and add water to cover (by an inch).
    Cook on low 4 to 8 hours or until beans are tender.

Saturday Bean Soup
    Recipe
    · 1 pound dry navy beans, sorted and soaked
    · 2 quarts water
    · 1 pound meaty ham bones or chunks
    · 1 stalk celery with leaves, finely chopped
    · 1 large carrot, finely chopped
    · 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    · 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    · 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
    · 1 bay leaf
    Drain the soaked beans, rinse, and put in a Crock-Pot with the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on high. Lower the temperature, remove the bay leaf, and the soup is ready for the day.

Tips From Our Test Kitchen: To sort and soak beans, rinse and remove all imperfect beans. Place beans in a large pot and cover with water about an inch. Cover pan and soak overnight.

2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Sounds tasty...I love taking ingredients and throwing em in a pot. ;-) Here is a recipie not my own but for Louis Armstrong's favorite Red Beans and Rice...I have made it a couple times before and I must say it is good.....

http://www.satchmo.net/faq/beans.txt

3. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    What I like is the 20 minutes later ingredient: Swiss Kriss a Laxative...LOL I heard Louie was kinda big on the Laxtives...anyways Bon Apetit ;-)

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Laxative.. no need after all those beans!!! :-)

5. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    Yummy Yummy Yummy! I wanna put it in my tummy.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D