Necessary Recordings

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by latinjazzcat, Nov 22, 2004.

1. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    What are some of your favorite recordings for orchestral/solo trumpet playing? It seems very easy to find "must have" lists for jazz trumpet, not so much the case in the "legit" realm. So what are some of your favorites and why (might as well have some fun with it :) )?

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Basically take the list of the top 50 most requested trumpet experts for auditions and that will give you a good idea of what pieces you need to hear. Keep in mind that listening to only the pieces that feature brass can be a very narrow view of the orchestral world. In many ways it is no different than what you do to learn jazz. I used to be a jazz major in college and I pretty much do the same thing now, find someone you like and listen to everything of them you can get your hands one, but instead of playing heads and solos along with Wynton or Clifford I now play along with Bud Herseth or Phil SMith.

Here are some of my favorite orchestral trumpet CDs that I always take with me on road trips.

CSO:

La Mer, Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome
    Bartok Concerto for Orchestra,
    Schcherazade
    Also Sprach Zarathustra
    Ein Heldenleben
    Mahler 3, 5

Atlanta
    Mahler 2
    Copland 3

Cleveland
    Rite of Spring , Petrouska

New york
    Mahler 1

3. KJaeger

KJaeger Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think the old CSO/Reiner discs with Herseth are absolutely essential (Heldenleben/Zarathustra, Pictures, Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, etc)...

(Oh heck, for that matter I love anything CSO with Herseth, particularly the Mahler 5 with Solti)

The Phil Smith CD on the New York Legends label is amazing...

I really like the San Francisco Symphony recordings of Stravinsky (Firebird/Rite of Spring) and Mahler 1, with Glenn Fischtal on principal

I like the recordings that Chris Gekker has done, particularly of the various Eric Ewazen works and of Prayer of St. Gregory

Marsalis/Carnival (with Eastman Wind Ensemble)

Summit Brass Live

The Philip Jones Ensemble 20th Century Album

I just discovered the Minnesota Orchestra recordings :cool:

4. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    Some recordings I would add would be:

Gerard Schwarz - Cornet Favorites, Classical Trumpet Concerti
    Wynton Marsalis - The London Concert
    Niklas Eklund - Trumpet Concertos, Really any of his CD's
    Sergei Nakariakov - From Moscow With Love
    David Hickman - Any of his CD's
    Jens Lindemann - Any of his CD's
    Allen Vizzutti and Jeff Tyzik - High Class Brass

This is just a beginning list I would give my students. After that I would start adding more recordings of each artist or give them a few more names depending on what they heard and liked.
    Adam Metzler

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have an Old Maurice Andre cassette that is really good, but I can't think of the particular title off of the top of my head. It has him playing the Vivaldi concerto for two trumpets in C. He played both parts. For Baroque trumpet solo, it's really hard to beat his interpretation of it.

As for other "classical" solo trumpet works, I have always enjoyed the Wynton Marsalis album "Baroque Music For Trumpet and Orchestra" (or something along those lines) that contains among other things the Vivaldi Concerto for two trumpets, two Telemann concertos for 3 trumpets, The Michael Haydn trumpet concerto and the Pachabel Canon in D. I think that the most interesting aspect of this recording is how it was recorded. In order to obtain as authentic sound as they could, they recorded this album onsite in a Cathedral or large Church in London (St. Barnabas cathedral is what sticks in my head, but I have never been to london so I don't really know) with the orchestra in place as they would be for an actual performance. Then, Wynton would actually stand where he would be standing if he were performing it. This goes for the multiple trumpet works as well. There is a Biber work for multiple (8?) trumpets with antiphonal parts and for each part he stood where each performer would have stood. For micing they made use of both direct mics and omni-direction mics and the resulting recording is phenomenal in my opinion.

There is another Wynton album where he plays "duets" with Opera Soprano Edita Gruberova. Among my favorites on that recording are "Let the Bright Seraphim" and "Sound the Trumpet"

For trumpet solo recordings, for me personally and especially for Baroque music, I like Maurice and Wynton. In my opinion, they have set and raised the bar for how that music should sound.

A couple of other greats to listen to are Timofey Dokshitzer, Gerard Schwarts. Hard to go wrong there.

6. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    favorite trumpet recordings

Reiner's recordings of Ravel: Alborado del Gracioso, Stravinsky: Song of the Nightingale, Strauss: Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, Rimsky Korsakov Scheherazade.

Ghitalla's first solo recording: Hummel, Albrechtsberger, Molter.

Harry Glantz's recordings of Copland: Quiet City and Gershwin: Concerto in F.

Bernstein Mahler 3 with NY Philharmonic. (Bernstein, Vacchiano and John Ware- what a combination!)

I wore these all out in vinyl. I don't know if the Glantz are available on CD but I think they're the best. The rest are on CD's.

Larry Malin

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I just bought the recording of Mahler 5 performed by the CSO off of iTunes...

Holy CRAP!! This just became my new standard. Bud Herseth is amazing!

Oh, and while trumpets really don't even pick up their horns in it, Elgar's Enigma Variation IX is just gorgeously beautiful. I love it to death.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Amazon.com finally came through! (it only took them 4 weeks to get the CD to me by USPS First Class, Air Express!!!) but.......
    holy cow... the best classical brass I've heard....(well, maybe a tie for 1st with the German Brass playing Bach on the DVD I mentioned a few days back).

I just received "The Antiphonal Music of Gabrieli" featuring the Philadelphia Brass Ensemble, the Cleveland Brass Ensemble and the Chicago Brass Ensemble playing together as a single group. What a list of players! (I won't spoil the surprise by listing them)

Superb music too. Run, don't walk, and order this one.

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    For solo work, aside from the obvious (Maurice Andre), I really like the recording Ed Carroll did with the NY Trumpet Ensemble a few years back. It's on the MMG label, I think. It has some stuff from the Christmas Oratorio, 3 of the Telemann Heroic Marches and some other baroque works. The playing is absolutely rich and easy sounding. Mr. Carroll's articulation is so smooth and relaxed and the sound on the smaller horns is just wonderful. The blend of the ensemble is remarkable.

The Empire brass is never very far out of my reach, either. Their sound concept (particularly Rolf's) is one I really like to try and emulate.

Orchestrally, I like the Israel Philharmonic's recording of Bernstein's Jeremiah Symphony and Chichester Psalms, under Maestro Bernstein's baton. The trumpet section has alot of bite; there's a double tongued sixteenth passage that trades between trumpet 1 and 2 that is seamless. I really like the Atlanta Symphony's Mahler 8 done with Robert Shaw, Mahler 3 with London Symphony, with Klaus Tennstedt (although the trombone solo gets a little muddy...I still like the passion on the recording), New York's Mahler 2 (Phil...need I say more?) and La Mer and Bernstein, Chicago's Mahler 1 and 5 (Solti at the helm), and Pines, Brahms 1, Saint-Saens Organ Symphony, Le Sacre du Printemps and Beethoven's 9th led by Karajan. (His legatos...to die for. Like melted swiss cheese!)

I like Mahler...what can I say? ;-)

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Charlie Schlueter has recently released three solo recordings. He owns the Hindemith. The recordings of classical concerti are also well worth listening to. For someone who has spent his entire professional career in the orchestral world, he is a very unique soloist with ideas you won't hear ANYWHERE else.
    As for orchestral CDs... Anything by the Minnesota Orchestra is usually great!! Recently, I have heard some great stuff coming from the Kirov Ballet/Orchestra. Also, recent recordings by Pittsburgh have been very good. Sinelius 2 comes to mind (I think it's out on Sony Classics, recorded 6 or 7 years ago maybe)
    Finally, old NYPhil recordings!!! They aren't all great, but the ones that are great are GREAT!!!

-jimi