neck expanding

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by dieteroni, Mar 15, 2017.

1. dieteroni

dieteroni Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2016
    My neck is expanding when i play like it gets a bit bigger, does this mean i play wrong or do i have some kind of medical condition? will it end me up having the bullfrog neck thing?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Many trumpeters necks expand when they play. It does not necessarily mean that you are playing wrong. But, who knows if you are doing anything right or wrong?

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Go see a Doctor to get the best advice.

My neck expands too as I play higher, and at times I have to open my top button under my tie. Unless you have a balloon type of injury occurring, I'd say it is normal. BUT, I would be off to the Doctor today...

Good luck

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    .....whereas mine expands for the lower register. Aren't we a funny lot! :D

5. dieteroni

Sep 15, 2016
    I tried everything and playing as relaxed as i can so i think its normal but i just dont want to have any injuries, is the bullfrog neck puff thing a medical condition that peopkle are born with or does it happen when playing ?

6. dieteroni

Sep 15, 2016
    what do you count as ballon type of injury?

7. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The "Balloon" is a bull frog type of injury, due to very bad playing habits. Wayne Bergeron is a classic example, where his side of his neck blows out - it is an injury, and he does have some good tales about it, but he admits it is due to very poor habits when he was younger, and pressuring to the DHC. he simply blew a hernia - he applied so much pressure that his neck got a bulge (a herniated neck). I know some players who have blown hernias in the stomach region.

Best is to learn to play by using the air efficiently, not just blowing harder - but hey, we all did it when we were young. If it was me, I would go get checked, and be sure to have a teacher check me out as well. Look at your playing, the stance, the amount of air you are using, and the way you use it. Go for a good tone, and make music.

8. dieteroni

Sep 15, 2016
    so i can get a stomach and neck hernia from inproper playing? whats the proper way of playing? relaxing, open throat and using as low pressure as one is able?

9. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I would do 2 things - we cannot see you, so cannot really help, just guessing.

1. Go see a Doctor, and explain what is happening.

2. Do you have a teacher? Then get him to check you out. Be sure you are not making something out of nothing, or making a situation worse.

How to play correctly - well there's plenty available to read, and to practice.
    MTM is a good start, but how you sit and stand, how you hold the horn, and how you move your air, your tongue position, mouth and lips, and how you control your air.

Mystery to Mastery – Online Trumpet Lessons

You may be completely normal - we cannot tell off a keyboard.

10. dieteroni

Sep 15, 2016
    im sure im fine i just heard of the neck puff thing and got in panic