Need a bit of help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JoshRowell19, Sep 29, 2013.

1. JoshRowell19

JoshRowell19 New Friend

Jun 29, 2012
    Hi,

I'm currently a senior in highschool and am looking to further my trumpet skills through college, I have an audition coming up in a month. I need a technical piece that is preferably in the arban's book that is four to six lines long, a small piece, it doesn't have to be the hardest or easiest, I'd say around a high school all-state or all-region level. Also, if you have any pieces that would fit a technical detail please do mention, because it doesn't have to come from the Arban's book!

Thanks,
    Josh!

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    First you said it has to be in the Arban's, then you said it didn't.

Play the first section of one of the characteristic studies. #1, or #9 are great.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    While the characteristic studies are great, they have their technical challenges (that's why they were written!)

At the other end of the spectrum, I quite like Exercise 30 on page 33. Good dynamic contrasts and a nice lyrical section in the middle for you to impress with some expressive playing.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Easy there, sir. He said, "preferably" not that it had to be Arban's. Just looking out for young Josh, there. He will have plenty of opportunities to be "shot down"- let him have a safe haven with us, no?

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, JohnRowell19!

I really like the #30 idea. The auditioners are going to be looking for sound, intonation and articulation of course, but the thing that will set you apart is rhythm. Our tendency is to play the notes like a dotted eighth sixteenth rhythm in compound time, and to play a dotted eighth sixteenth rhythm like triplets.

Pay close attention to the rhythm on #30 and you'll be just fine.

6. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Josh,

Listen to this advice - this man knows what he is talking about. Good luck.

7. JoshRowell19

JoshRowell19 New Friend

Jun 29, 2012
    Anywhere you know of where i can find a recording?

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria

Personally, I don't put quite so much into the fortes and the rallentando (a tad overdone imho)