Need a history lesson

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jul 13, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey all

I stumbled accross quite a find the other day. I foud this little antique store and outside they had a couple wierd brass instruments. I was immediatley drawn to these two bugle like instruments. One has two valves and one is more like a bugel and has one valve.

Here are some pics. I would like a lesson in what these are, what they are used for etc please :-)

One the bell of the two valved one says "Ultratone II F.E. Olds and Son Fullerton Calif." The serial # is 019443

On the one valved bugel it says "Peate"and the serial # is 127.

PS - They are very stinky (peeeuuuuuu) :-?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Eric- Those would be Soprano bugles in G. They date from mid '70s for the one valve and late 70's/early 80's for the 2 valve. They were used by drum and bugle corps. When I first bgan marching in drum corps in 1977, we used a G/D valve/slide bugle; the next coprs I went to had rotary valve bugles, then when I went to my 3rd corps we had the 2 valve. F.E. Olds and Donald E. Getzen were the 2 big names in 2 valve instruments, ranging from soprano, mellophone, flugelhorn, baritone and contrabass.

The one valve, as you may have figured out, acts as the 1st valve, and the slide pulls back to act as the 2nd valve. No 3rd valve combinations, so for a long time my aural concept of a C scale was quite bizarre.

There yoiu have it.

3. BruceGrain

BruceGrain New Friend

Feb 6, 2011
    ULTRATONE by F E Olds & son Fullerton CA marching Bugle

Trying to find out where i can get a manual of something for two reasons. !) how to proerly take care of and feed this thing and also how to finger it to get a scale?? Any suggestions:huh:

4. BruceGrain

BruceGrain New Friend

Feb 6, 2011
    Thank you very much.

Bruce

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    The Olds bugles were really good, BTW. I have a valve/trigger mello.

6. BruceGrain

BruceGrain New Friend

Feb 6, 2011
    It might sound silly but I would like to learn how to play this one so i can play last post and rouse for remembrance day Services on Nov 11

7. pmdberio

pmdberio New Friend

Mar 6, 2010
    New YOrk
    While the bugle in this video is in Bb we just had Kanstul send us some that have no valve and can be in F or G. I hope you enjoy the fun, look at these calls, and Part 2 will have tattoo, taps, and The the Color

-DDD

YouTube - Bugle Calls in Opera Part 1

8. BruceGrain

BruceGrain New Friend

Feb 6, 2011
    Yep talk about a culture shock.

9. BruceGrain

BruceGrain New Friend

Feb 6, 2011
    The army type has a bugle similar to the one i just purchased and I was wondering how they were held.