Need a microphone to record with

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by arsenal123gunners, Mar 23, 2011.

1. arsenal123gunners

arsenal123gunners New Friend

Nov 6, 2010
    Looking to record on a Mac into Garage Band, but am having some troubles coming up with a good microphone to choose. I am looking too spend around $60. I know it isn't that much, but I would have to imagine there are some good choices for me in that price range. Any personal suggestions?

2. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Check Daddy's Junky Music, either in person if there's one near you or online. They tend to have decent used Shure mics. You'll also need an XLR cable +/- adaptor, which in total will probably run you over $60.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I own three of these (I got the 3 pack) and they actually sound pretty good - comparable to an SM57 or 58.

Buy Behringer XM8500 Microphone | Dynamic Microphones | Musician's Friend

Seriously, they aren't bad at all and one of those will work fine I've mainly used mine for recording scratch vocals, but I'd use them on trumpet without thinking twice.

Now the big question - how are you going to get the sound into your computer and Garage Band? What interface are you going to use? Are you going to go with a standard XLR/USB converter, or are you going to get an interface of some kind?

ART makes a decent but inexpensive interface that reviews well:

ART USB Dual Pre Project Series Microphone Preamp at AmericanMusical.com

That's about as cheap as you are going to find that one - other places have it as much as $99.

4. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    If you look around the internet a bit you can find some decent usb mics, and then use audacity to get it on your computer.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    trickg makes some very good points... if you go with a condenser mike then you will need phantom power UNLESS you go with a USB mike. If you have an interface like an M-Audio PoFire box then you will have phantom power in the interface.
    I have never tried them but their are alot in your price range.
    I took a look on ebay and teir are a few SM 57/58 close to your price range. I always prefered the 58 because I felt like I could control the volume better. The 57 tends to drop off very fast as you move away from it. lot, and I man ALOT, of players use the 57 though.
    My suggeston is to wait and save up another $60 so you can buy a really nice microphone.. some of the new $120 mikes are killer... have bass drop off switches which are very handy and better off phase canceling circuitry,

6. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't have a lot of experience with this but the one & only time I have attempted this I used my Silent Brass system and I thought it worked great. I got the idea because I play at a very small church and sometimes the open horn is too much for the small space. I practice at home with karaoke music I have on my computer, I run that thru my Silent Brass and play along with it, I got to thinking this would be neat if I could run this thru the sound system at church, that way I could control the volume of the trumpet with the recorded background. This worked great even though I was told it wouldn't.

If you have the Silent Brass or know someone who does, try it you might like it.

Ray Z :play: