Need a new tuner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chesley, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use gStrings and Mobile Metronome on my Galaxy S2. Both work just as well as my old Seiko ST-1100.

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I have several (3 or 4) Korg TM-40's (our musical kids tend to squirrel them away in their cases), but I also use gStrings and Mobile Metronome on my Droid.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The only tuner I ever thought was any good was one of those really expensive strobe tuners ... that's for trumpet. So I would just spend the money on a nice Seth Thomas metronome. It's not like a guitar where the strings change stretch and change pitch once you are dialed in.

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    A friend told me of the time he was taking lessons from a world famous principal trumpet and the friend asked this principal about what tuner he should buy.
    The principal launched into an expletive filled sentence about throwing the tuner out the window and use your ears.
    Of course, the friend was an advanced player and plays very well in tune.
    I find a tuner a useful learning tool, but nothing else. Trying to keep your pitch "in the green" on every note is just plain wrong and you will be out of tune on the notes of a scale and really be out of tune on your chord voicing.
    One with a metronome is a terrific and useful item to have.
    Rich T.