need a teacher

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Sep 6, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    OK

The time has come for me to get a good teacher! I am looking for you to recommend someone or if you feel able to offer to help.

I live in the UK in the north of hampshire.

I am past the first flush of youth (50+) and apart from a little guitar playing have no musical background, (made instruments at school never played them)

I am an ex national swimmer and have competed at a high level in many sports.

I work part time at a school and have wednesdays off to sort the house or maybe take a trumpet lesson.

I have 2 children, both at school.

My ability at trumpet, varies some days from g below to a above the staff, other days top out at e. Can play basic tunes and can read music to a level where i can work out the melody but can not read and play at the same time. 2 reasons for that, 1 too slow, 2 need new glasses.

I am under no illusions about my playing, i do not want to play like miles davis, al hirt or anyone else. I just want to play to the best of my ability and enjoy the journey.

I love jazz, especially the relaxed old west coast stuff.

Thats not to say i am not determind, i need to work on not putting in too much effort as that has been a problem with my continied injuries in sports.

If you can help that would be great, if you cant thanks for looking anyway.

steve

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    PM sent to you.

3. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    well, i'm guessing your not going professional. your best bet is to ask around the secondary schools in your area and see if any of the peripatetic teachers do private lessons.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    How about web cam lessons. I have a student in Australia. I like working with adult beginners. You can take as much or as little as you need. Been teaching 32 years. If you're interested you can contact me via my e mail listed below.

5. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Another person to contact would be Keith Fiala, former lead trumpet with Maynard. He is very patient, has a positive attitude, and does lessons via Skype (web-cam). I am 50+ and have been working with Keith for almost 3 months now, and I'm a brand new trumpet student.
    Just google Keith Fiala. He has a website, plus many postings on YouTube.
    Good luck to you!

6. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    thanks for the messages guys am trying to find someone who i can see face to face. if that does not happen will definately look at online or skype lessons.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As for a teacher, being U.S. I am no help ... but reading music ... particularly sight reading begins with good vision (IMO better than average) thus, without a moment to lose I hope you are now on your way to optometrist for new glasses.

That said, IMO someone in our youth taught us to identify the notes by location on the treble (G) clef. Here in the U.S. such was by the word FACE for the spaces and the ditty of Every Good Boy Deserves Friends (or Fudge etc.)

This now didn't bide well when reading more advanced music, and was wholly useless for the male past puberty whose voice lended itself more toward the bass clef.

Well, I always started teaching music reading with the "invisible" note. You may never see it in most music, especially those tunes of your youth. A pianist call this note a middle "C" and its placement is on the solitary line between the treble clef and the bass clef. Don't see such a line? You won't ... and like the "screamers" you won't see these "ledger" lines unless there are notes upon them.

Thus, we now know where one of the notes called a C is placed (there are more). What is the note in the space below this middle C? Certainly, it is a B, and the line below that (being the top line of the bass clef) is an A. Now if you know the 26 letters of the English alphabet as are often referred to as the "ABCs" (here in the U.S.) you'll know the sequence of the notes in music as are just the same as this alphabet ... except you needn't know 26 letters, but only these 7: ABCDEFG. Were you playing these notes on a piano, this sequence would then repeat over and over as you ascend the white keys.

In a reverse sequence ala CBAGFEDCBA, the G thru A repeated as you descend the bass clef or the white keys to the one's left on the piano.

Most adults I've encountered have now jumped ahead to tell me the black keys to the right of a white key sharpen it and those to the left flatten this note. They are correct.

Reading music and playing begins by playing slowly and when repeated played faster (and faster) until the designated tempo is achieved. Even pros play this way!!!!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010