Need advice on a new Desktop Computer!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Anonymous, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    My POS gateway lap top died the other day. :evil: It needs a new hard drive and I was thinking its time to go with a new desktop. I am told a decent HD from gateway would be about $200

I'm looking for something under $500. All I use it for will be internet. Word Processing. And if I could burn Cds that would be great.

Anyone have suggestions or are you aware of some good deals? I saw an EMachine at Circuit City for around $400 with rebates.

Thanks for any help!

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Actually I have heard that emachine is made by Gateway but they are better. I guess it would be hard to be worse than Gateway! Ha! Ha! Get a Mac! :bleah:

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I can't stand PCs :evil:

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    DISCLAIMER: The recommendation and statements given below are entirely fictitious. They do not represent the beliefs of the author nor this website wherein they are hereby published!

MM....

You really should buy an IBM before they move their production off to China. Nobody builds a PC with the kind of sound quality that is covetted by orchestras throughout North America like IBM does. Sure, their quality control is sometimes a little flaky and sometimes the keys aren't in the right positions but that only means that you should be trying each one out in the store before taking it home. Once home you must practice and learn to accept their variability as part of the "character" of the instrument.... errr, I mean 'computer'. That's what makes them great. And of course, if you really find their keyboards and mice annoying you can add custom-built peripherals at some minor extra cost!

Computer experts for years have extolled the virtues of IBM...with their long history they have just GOT to be better than anything else out there. I remember using one of their mainframe 360 Model 75s. That sucker took up a whole building but man.... could it ever chew up punchcards! If you showed up at a recording session with some other strange brand, I'll bet all the other IBM owners would snear at you. Besides, IBM is recommended by computer directors all over the world.

:twisted:

(snicker)

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Lordy, what a mess. :x The courier guy arrived this morning with the new 5/1 surround speakers for my computer. :-) The only problem was..... I don't have a decent sound card. :-( So it was off to the shop and purchase a Soundblaster Live 24. Not a bad price but it took me 2 freaking hours of tearing the whole computer corner of the family room apart and restringing wire all over the place. I found dustbunnies as big as basketballs in a couple of the corners. (note to self... get someone to clean under the desk more often!) The computer was pretty clean... I vacuumed it out back in October when I put a second hard drive and a DVD burner in.

Then the wireless router started acting up and didn't want to talk to the modem. :thumbdown: Since the kids busted their laptop with the wireless card and haven't got the PC working yet that I got them a wireless internet card for I yanked the &&$%# thing out and now am back to running straight DSL modem. I think I wrecked my back trying to get the carton of printer paper out from behind the filing cabinet and I know I bashed my head on the desk chasing power cords "through and behind and under". :bash:

Next time I'll have to pay my teenage son to do the dirty work for me.

Got good sound now! :thumbsup: I wish someone would come out with a wireless thing (like those wireless headphones) that you could run your computer sound output directly to a home stereo without wires though. That'd make life somewhat simpler.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Oh mannn... listening to some Sammy Nestico mp3 charts (Shore Line, Pressure Cooker, Hay Burner) with the volume and bass cranked up..... why didn't I get a surround card years ago?

Edit: And who ARE those trumpet players?

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Bluetooth would let you have wireless headphones. Comes standard on ......

[​IMG]

Jim :twisted:

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yeah, I know. But I didn't want headphones.... wanted surround sound and enough bass to drown out the kids when they start arguing over who has to have what homework done by when! :evil:

Sure I could turn on the stereo.... but that's not as much fun and is located in a different part of the house.

9. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    mmccourt

There is a new avatar you might be interested in -- in the Signs area:

[​IMG]

;-)

Jim