Need advice on how to unstick keys

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Aug 20, 2005.

1. jpvr558@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 20, 2005
    Hope someone out there can come to my rescue. Our family just returned from vacation and when my 13 year old son went to practice his trumpet, the keys are all stuck. We tried valve oil, but they will not budge. Any suggestions? It is a one year old Bach, and we do not want to harm it. Suggestions will be most appreciated.

2. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Time for a cleaning when either 1 the keys won't budge or 2 the keys get stuck and need frequent oil. First, (what I would do) if they literally will not move (ie can't take them out, even), run warm water over and into what you can for a while and try to loosen them. When that's done, clean the valves. I would understand if your son has never cleaned the trumpet before. :) It needs to be done.

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    What ever you do, don't try to force them out. Valves are very fragial and can easily be damaged with the slightest bit of pressure. If the warm water trick dosn't work, take it to a shop and have a professional look at it, doing it yourself and saveing about $30 isnt worth ruining the valves and haveing to spend about $300 to get one replaced.

4. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Odds are they will carefully take the thing out, oil it, and say it's fixed. It seems that the grime in the valves just hardend. What would probably be the best thing to do (if you don't mind the $$$) is to get it professionally cleaned.

5. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    Try soaking the horn in warm water with a small amount of soap (in the bathtub). You will probably need to have the felts replaced (since they get wet) if you do this.

6. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    You could try wiping the valves clean and then rubbing some brasso on them. Then oil them and they should be fine. Brasso has one of the lightest grits in it and will smooth out any rough spot on the valve. Hope this helps,Chris

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Chris4 wrote:
    Personally,
    I would NOT put Brasso on my valves!!!!!

-cw-

8. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    A little bit will do no harm and will smooth any rough spot in the valve o casing.