Need advice on Purchasing Piccolo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Leicalsf, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Leicalsf

Leicalsf New Friend

Mar 29, 2007
    Canada
    Hi, everyone.
    I"m thinking about buying a Schilke P5-4 in late Aug or Sep, but its diffcult for me to try a few horns to find the one with the best intonation etc., since i live in Eastern Canada and there are not many Schilke dealers here. The only one i can reach that has a few P5-4 in stock is in another city and its known for over-pricing(according to a few of my friends)....
    Is there anything i can do about this situation?
    I don't know if this would be a stupid question, but your advices are greatly appreciated....

2. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Hello

The problem with looking for a pic is that few dealers stock a range of them because of the cost of stocking them when they won't sell many.
    Also, it can take a few days to find out if you really like one.
    The way I used to do this was I had a friend who owned a trumpet shop and he used to get demo samples from the sales reps that I would habitually take away for a week and play on.
    As a result I played on a wide range of instruments.
    I have played on large and small bore piccolo trumpets and they each have their place.

Have a look Here as this site is very useful:
    Guide to Piccolo trumpets

Before buying a Schilke you need to work out which model you want as there is more than one p5-4.

The Butler Geyer is probably the best option but I would also consider the Maurice Andre version. having had a pic that has a fourth valve which can be changed to lower it one tone I have seen the usefulness of this in hitting certain notes straight and improving trilling. Its a good option to have.

Schilke may not be the instrument for you at all though.
    Personally i find the P5-4 rather cold and detached to play on. You also really need the seperate A lead pipe for it.
    They are bringing out another model of piccolo which sounds like it might be a good second choice.
    I should say that I like Schilke instruments just not the P5-4.

Other ones to look at are the Yamaha one that looks like the Schilke and the kanstul ones. I play on the F Besson which was made by Kanstul and it feels better to me than the Schilke. They still make a very similar trumpet but with felts instead of corks which may affect the valve allignment:
    Kanstul Bb/A Piccolo Trumpet - CCT 920
    I believe it is cheaper than a Schilke.
    They also make a Bb/A/G trumpet with screw bells but I have never played it.

Here in Europe the rotary piccolo trumpets are popular, but they are also cheaper here than in the US or Canada.

3. Gary Schutza

Gary Schutza Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2007
    Kansas City
    I have a Kanstul Bb/A picc. For me it works out very well, and yes it is a fair amount cheaper than a Shilke. It's also a bit larger bore, something that I was interested in so it feels like my other trumpets. Seems to make switching back and forth easier for me.
    When I bought it I contacted the Kanstul company and they put me in touch with someone on the west coast that they worked with frequently. I think it was Charley Davis. I talked to him and told him what I thought I was looking for in a good piccolo, then he went to the factory and played a bunch of horns and picked out the best one he could find for me. there was no charge to me for this service, as Kanstul payed him directly. I felt much better about buying a horn this way than just buying something "off the rack" and being sort of stuck with it. By the way, they agreed that if I didn't like the horn Charley Davis picked, I could return it for another try. But, honestly, the horn is fantastic!!! I've used it for about 8 years now. It fits me perfectly. I've used it on everything from brass quintets to solos with the orchestra to the Rite of Spring (part 1 only, it still doesn't make as much racket as a good D trumpet).
    I know that the Shilke's are great horns. But I think the Kanstul is one as well. Just don't buy a Getzen!!!!

Chip Schutza

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gary!
    Why shouldn't we buy a Getzen? I know of several players that do a fine job with them.
    Getzen has the finest valves of ANY "mass produced" horns available. I have never played a Getzen that has "disappointed" me in terms of workmanship, sound, intonation or consistent blow.
    Brett Getzen posts here on occasion and I am impressed with his personal integrity. He has openly discussed problems that he had with the plating of his horns and keeps us informed of the progress he IS making.
    Your blanket statement without qualification is not fair.
    What is your grief with Getzen? How many horns have you tried to warrant such a blast? Bashing at TM is bad form! Qualified criticism is accepted with open arms!

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    My first Piccolo was a Getzen and it was fine. It played in tune and took a trumpet shank mouthpiece which made it easier to switch.

6. Gary Schutza

Gary Schutza Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2007
    Kansas City
    WHOA!
    You're right. I shouldn't have said that. My apologies. I think I was trying to be humorous, it didn't work. I agree that Getzen has some of the best valves on the market. I don't personally care for their piccolo, and should have just kept my mouth shut. If I have offended please accept my apology.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gary,
    no, no! Don't keep your mouth shut. You have a lot of experience that can benefit all of us. A bad documented experience is also valuable!

8. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I play a Yamaha, but remember when I was buying my horn that Doug Hedwig, my teacher at the time, ppointed out that there are times when we use piccolo for hight trumpet parts, and times when we are looking for something mor eidiomatic for piccolo, so to speak. He felt that the Getzen actually worked very well when it was a high trumpet part, as the Getzen blows more like a big horn.
    At the time, I could only afford one, so I bought the Yamaha.

Jordan

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I want to put in a "plug" for the Getzen pics. It was my first pic and it played beautifully. The change to Blackburn leadpipes (leaderpipes) did improve the horn. And you are right Robin, great valves... and I kinda like how the bell points up a little... or is it the lead pipe angle... anyways, it has a diff look about it. I should have never sold that horn... but I've said that about almost every horn I've owned... LOL

In regards to the P5-4, I've heard a wave of change on these horns... people seem to be looking for a bigger sound... I personally love my P5-4 and it has the BG conversion... and to be honest... I don't know how I lived without the ability to tune. More manufacturers should consider this.

Good luck on your search. Too bad you can't get to ITG.