Need Advice Quick!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FreshBrewed, Feb 24, 2006.

1. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    While playing some noncontact sports this morning, someone made contact and I now have a busted lip. I have an audition on Tuesday, February 28th. Any suggestions to help deal with the issue? I have to take the audition.

2. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Vitamin A & D ointment does it for me, my trumpet prof has told me in the past that when his chops are busted, he'll use Preparation H, I've never tried this simply because I haven't needed to and it just sounds weird, but it might be worth a shot.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Blistex in a tube has always been my standby when it comes to healing my chops, but lip tissue is only going to heal at a certain rate, no matter what you do.

Best of luck to you.

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Prep-H will shrink the swelling of your lip tissue. Lots of trumpeters who played in circus bands used it years ago. I have never used it myself. It won't make a split lip go away, but it will take down the swelling. Gosh, good luck.

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Put the horn in the case.Step away from the trumpet case. Leave the room. Use ice-pack to reduce any swelling. Do not touch mouthpiece or horn to practice until ALL swelling has subsided.Unless you have a really serious injury, one day should do the trick.
    Personally, I don't use anything other than ice on my chops.
    Wilmer

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, I agree with Wilmer 110%. I also have used ice on the chops if needed. The toughest part is just staying off the horn completely. Keep your mind in audition mode and do all you can to prepare mentally, etc.

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    1) Ice

2) Go find a piano and get busy, you have an audition to play in afew days. Play piano instead of trumpet.

ML

8. Soarlips

Soarlips New Friend

Nov 24, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    The active ingredient in Preparation H is shark's fin oil, which has never been demonstrated to do anything useful to human tissue. Wilmer is giving you the straight goods.
    KP

9. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    The big time pros here know their stuff. Ice and lay off the horn.

Thought I'd throw in that a pharmacist once told me that Prep H did nothing to reduce swelling. The only one of "those" type products that had an ingredient that would... Tronolane.

This won't help your situation...you've already been given the best advice. Just thought I'd throw that in.

10. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Wilmer and others,

Thanks for the advice. I have been using ice and laying off the horn since the injury and the swelling is almost completely gone. If it is completely gone withing the next 8 hours, I will pick up the horn tomorrow and start slowly. Thanks again.