Need Advice Quick!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FreshBrewed, Feb 24, 2006.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Second line advice here........(I'm not nearly on the level with some of thise people who have already offered you some advice.)

If Tuesday comes and he can't play his best, does he call and explain and say I'll wait until next audition rather than play poorly, do you show up and explain followed by a hand shake, or do you play with the chance of playing a bad audition?

In the past (many years ago) I had a fever blister so bad it was bleeding. I showed up, explained why I could not play for them, shook hands and thanked them for the time they had reserved for me. I also offered to play if they really wanted me to do so, but told them I would rather not play until my lip was totally better.

I got a call about a month later to do some work for the same guy. I showed up and played the heck out of the job and showed them my "real stuff". I know I could not have done that when my lip was messed up. I never want to pick up a horn and play bad -- it leaves an impression that is very hard for a person to ever forget.

2. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Jeez Mike, take it easy! What's the audition for?
    The advice above sounds good. Remember all those times I had to play with jacked up lips? You ain't gonna get any better with busted chops, so just put it down and mentally get ready to take the audition.
    -J

3. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Jarrett,

I'm in Virginia right now at the SOM. My outgoing audition has to be played. I may apply for a gig here. If not, I will hopefully be headed to Leonardwood if I can manage it. Take care and tell Lisa I said hi. PM me with your number and I'll give you a call when I get a chance. Take care.

4. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Ahhhh,

The ol' US NASAL POOL OF MUCUS . . . we almost buffed the original tile off the floors in Scott Hall waaaaaay back in '72. They issued Connstellations back then.

I'll bet they are still using that (now) old building too.

Ahhhh . . . the fun ol' days . . . the summer of '72 . . . with my '66 Mustang fastback ready to take that V-8 down to find some chicks at Virginia Beach. AAAAH . . . why WONDERFUL mammaries . . . errrr . . . MEMORIES during my single years!

[​IMG]

Still have the car . . . but I'm not exactly 21 anymore. That car went to VA Beach a lot that summer, but I spent the night of my 21st birthday in Scott Hall as C.Q. . . . or whatever the Navy called it when us Army guys were doing that duty.

OOOPS . . . I'm having a senior moment! Best wishes on the audition!

Tom

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Tom,

We're gonna have to start a "cars thread.

I also enjoyed the "Summer of 72".
    This was my personal fun car, a '68 GTX .
    Was driving a '67 GTX at the time. A "senior moment for me as well.
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the hi-jack.

-cw-

6. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
    Nice rides, Guys!!!! :-)

7. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Tom,

The basic students still stay in Scott Hall and the school house is still the same building on Gator Blvd. They now issue Bachs, but I brought an Eclipse with me. Sorry about your 21st birthday, but if it makes you feel any better, I spent my 32nd on duty in January of this year. A couple of my classmates bought me a cake and I ended up sharing it with the basic students. Two more weeks and then it's back to good old Germany!

BTW, great cars guys!

8. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mike,

Glad to hear your back is in good enough shape for you to be playing sports again! Sucks about the lip, but sounds like you've gotten great suggestions, ie stop playing, etc. Say "hi" to everyone for me!

Kevin