need advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by buzzcutt101, Dec 30, 2008.

1. buzzcutt101

buzzcutt101 New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    i played a holton collegiate trumpet all through high school and held first chair all through school. i recently started playing again, but unfortunately i accidentally stepped on the horn and damaged the 2nd valve like it might need a new valve or aligned? i am thinking about bidding on a vintage york trumpet on ebay. any suggestions as to whether i should go thru the expense of repair or getting the york trumpet? so far ive read nothing but good things about the york. thanks and happy holidays

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Stepping on it probably deformed the valve cylinder on #2 where the slide connects. This kind of damage is not unusual. I'd take it to a repair tech before deciding anything.
    Yorks are nice, but you never know until you receive it what playing condition it is in.

veery

3. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    There are at least two Holton Collegiates for sale now at Shopgoodwill.com that you could get for spare parts if you want to restore your old faithful horn. Check serial number lists to see if the dates match up with when yours was made. You may want to fix up the horn you have rather than try another horn that might not suit you.

Just a thought...

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I would get a price for the repair of your horn and then with that information see what I could buy the others for. However, in buying another you could very possibly run into other problems that you haven't anticipated.

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan