Need an answer!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JoshRowell19, Oct 1, 2013.

1. JoshRowell19

JoshRowell19 New Friend

Jun 29, 2012
    Can anyone tell me why the older Getzen professional Severinsen model's are going for so cheap? Are they not that good of quality?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I suspect price reflects condition in the main, my repairer has had to replace the leadpipe in several due to rot, mine has a small area just after the receiver, keeping it clean it is not progressing.

Regards, Stuart.

3. JoshRowell19

JoshRowell19 New Friend

Jun 29, 2012
    either way, is it a very good playing horn?

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It's a decent horn. Me? I would NEVER play it... only because I learned to play on a wide-slotting horn and tight-slotting horns like Getzens drive me batshit insane.

All that matters is how the horn matches your world view (and mouthpiece).

Tom

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    The Sev's are really decent horns. Price would be commensurate with condition. Some of them have had the crap played out of them. At an average of about $900 to $1200 or so for a nice one, I don't consider that cheap,IMHO:oops:

6. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    As a owner of a 1976 SEV ML bore, I can tell you:
    1. most players would find them very nice playing horns (most who have played them, love them)
    2. very fast and even valves
    3. yes, the leadpipe will likely need to be replaced if the horn has been played a lot but not cleaned often
    4. very good quality fit and finish
    5. define cheap? I've seen some nice ones in the $600-$800 range, and some higher. I consider this horn a high quality value in that range.

Get one. Play it and enjoy it!

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I am playing a '68 Getzen Severinsen, other than my Schilke B6, the best horn I've ever had.

I sold my Eclipse Solar Bell, because I would never play it again after this Getzen.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The Getzen pro Eterna models of the mid-70s opened my eyes to the gulf between student/intermediate horns and professional class instruments. Wish I'd had the financial resources then to buy one!

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've found the 900S to be an awesome trumpet. With a shallow mouthpiece it has plenty of zing, with a deeper mouthpiece one can get (in my opinion anyway) a colorful sound. They tend to brighten up as one gets louder, and I've found the g above the staff to be sharp.

I find Getzens well worth the money.

10. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    They were Army issue in the mid-seventies, at least in my band. Nice horns. Very different than my Bach37 but nice.