Need an answer!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JoshRowell19, Oct 1, 2013.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I owned a Severinsen in the late 70's-early 80's. It was a great playing horn. Solid slots, great core sound, great valves, cheapo case. I got rid of it because I could only afford one horn, and it was too bright to be an all-around horn for me. It was an ML. Now I've recently had a large bore come through my shop. Now there is a HORN!

2. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    I bought mine as a HS student in 1972 and it came with two different bores for the tuning slide. Using different mouthpiece and tuning slide combos helped take this horn form the bright lead horn to a better blend for ensemble playing. (Olds 3 mouthpiece with smaller bore for marching and lead, Bach 5 and larger bore for ensemble.) I still have it to this day and consider it a great horn. Slick valves, tight slotting. Wish it had come with a first and third slide adjustable trigger set-up but could always get it added if it ever became that important to me. But as others have said, the horn has to fit you and what you want to accomplish.

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I have not played a vintage Severinsen for a long enough period of time to tell, but it seems very much like my 900s Eterna Classic. That being said, they are a workhorse of an instrument. Same mouthpiece and lips, it outplays my Xeno everyday of the week. Dont get me wrong, I love my Xeno too, but more like a sister than a wife. A good condition Severinsen should bring a healthy price, but if you think they are underpriced these days be sure to check the condition because these horns rarely sat in a closet. They are soo good and respected by players that know quality that many of them are showing their age by now. So would you if you worked as hard as most of them do. Also remember that they are not a particularly rare horn, so they are a great value for the money. As you have read above, there are more than a few of us here on TM that are fans of Getzen...I'd like to think we're on to something good. Best wishes.

4. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I really love my Severinsen,how it sounds depends a lot on the MPC.
    Anyway I want it loud and bright, and I certainly get that out of this horn.
    To me it´s the best

5. MAZ

MAZ Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2007
    I have one bought new around 1974. Valves are still fantastic and I've kept it free of dents all these years. Amazing for big band work. I think they are a steal among used horns of that era. I've seen some go in the $500-600 range. If you had under $800 for an extra horn in a collection, an early '70s Severinson would be an excellent choice.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Bill Chase played one before he went to the Schilke. I own one and it most likely will never be sold by me! The only horn I like more is my Getzen 900H! The tilted bell is way cool and makes the tone resonate even more!!!! I do concur that many were "rode hard and put up wet" so you do needed to check them out first. My Sev was owned by a preacher, hardly used!!!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Oops, forgot to answer (got too excited) . I've seen the prices all over the map. I was generously offered a large bore at a very good price but had no funds and it's illegal to sell body parts so I had to pass. Anything that's in playable condition would go from $600 - $1000 depending on the condition. Large Bore would be more. Like they say, "They ain't making those anymore"!!!