Need Authentic Shofar Solo for Indie CD

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Devora Clark, Mar 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Devora Clark

Devora Clark New Friend

Mar 1, 2012
    Dalton, GA, USA
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Devora!

As far as I know there are two Shofar calls. One, the call to assemble with a slur to a higher note "Du-wheeeeeeh" etc., the other a call to arms, a "TTKTTKTKTah" kind of call. Nine notes, no more, no less. The Shofar is an instrument you can honk into and yet fill any space with a sound level that is uncomfortably loud. Kinda fun. For a fake Shofar, find a trumpeter willing to remove one of their slides and honk through those. Loud enough, cheap, sound like a shofar, but not real.

My experience playing the Shofar was in a Messianic community, and my take was that of the Shofar being a sacred instrument, dedicated to a couple of calls, not necessarily designed for profane music, which is why I like the idea of a fake Shofar.

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Odd, not many folks "horning in" on this thread.

4. Devora Clark

Devora Clark New Friend

Mar 1, 2012
    Dalton, GA, USA
    Let me reiterate, the shofarist must be anointed. I'm not looking for technique, although that will be apparent to the one who is called to sound the shofar. I'm looking for anointing and authenticity, and the ability to mold the sounds into my song as if they are One.

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Hey Devora: I couldn't get your link to play the song. Not sure what is up with that?

6. Devora Clark

Devora Clark New Friend

Mar 1, 2012
    Dalton, GA, USA
  7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When looking for folk who are anointed Shofar players, TM isn’t the best place for that. Plenty of us have been baptized, anointed for other stuff and even married. Heck, I’ve even been ordained over the web! We are a secular website, and while I hope you receive a PM from someone anointed for Shofar work most of us are into beer and cute women. Trumpets, too.

8. Devora Clark

Devora Clark New Friend

Mar 1, 2012
    Dalton, GA, USA
    Alrighty, then. I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree. Pardon the intrusion. Peace.

9. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't get me wrong, Devora, but the Shofar calls are easy stuff for us trumpet players.

I'm sure we have some members that are anointed and faithful, and suspect that a whole lot of us here revere the same King of the Universe. No offence meant, and hope that you don't bark up our tree without cause. Some of our members pee their pants when being barked at (not implying, but mentioning, Australians [We Americans have more doctors, the Australians have some engineers and imported Kiwi trumpet makers]).

So Devora, we have a dirty bunch here, not anointed, but faithful to our craft.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    ACtually I've played Shofar in churches over ten years. There are many Professional players. I dare say I'm anointed. I would leave that to the interpreter of the sound.
    Peace. I just can't get the link to work. I'll ask my computer savy children to help me.