need help and advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonster, Oct 25, 2008.

1. jonster

jonster New Friend

Feb 16, 2008
    maryland
    yesterday, while my father attempted to remove my gold-plated bach 3c from my getzen eterna trumpet, he ended up tearing off the whole leadpipe. i was very distressed. i had to resort to using my ytr 2320 trumpet that i got from a friend. odd enough, it sounded better than my eterna did, seeing that i am searching for that dark sound that the eterna couldnt give me. i am on a strict budget and got a full scholarship to FAMU to major in jazz studies. i will definitely need a new trumpet by then, so i was going to browse through local pawn shops to see waht i could find. any advice????? or does anyone have a used pro trumpet that i could get for around $300-$400???????????

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Too bad about the Eterna leadpipe. A good technician can fix it. Stuck mouthpieces are ALWAYS worth a trip to the shop. A mouthpiece puller will make quick work of the task, and many shops will not charge you anything or very much because it's easy for them and they want your return business. Getting the Getzen fixed will ease the pressure concerning getting another horn.

With a full scholarship you should be able to justify more than $3-400. Your schooling will potentially lead you towards a music career and having a good horn that will carry you through school and beyond makes sense. This is your FUTURE. Go find a store where you can actually play a variety of different trumpets to pick one out that feels right. Talk to your folks and/or the bank to see if you can get them to assist you is paying for the one you pick. Don't end up with a mediocre tool for the job you have to do. Looking in pawn shops can't hurt and you might get lucky, but considering what is at stake, it's better to focus on practicing than making the rounds of the hock shops.

It would be an excellent idea to contact the trumpet professor you'll be learning from at college and ask his recommendation about what you'll need.

It's normal for a good student horn to make you think you sound better. But what is heard out front is what counts, and the Getzen probably outdoes the Yammie in that department.

3. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    I've found Getzen Eternas to be quite bright sounding horns, especially if they are silver plated. However, I played one recently that had an all copper bell and it had a magic sound, darkish, rich and definitely suitable for jazz and chamber music. They all seem to have really great valves.

4. tfresh1

tfresh1 New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    If you can't make the jump up to a professional horn, look into the Yamaha Allegro. It's by far the best intermediate/step-up horn I've seen/heard/played. You can find them for about $500 used on eBay from time to time. Very consistent and a great sounding horn.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This too, is my experience of Getzens having transitioned from a 700SP (ie silver plated) to a 900 Eterna (lacquered) - and the valves are glorious.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find that many trumpet players have no idea how their horn sounds from the audience perspective.
    The Getzen does sound light from the players perspective, but that is not what the audience gets.
    My recommendation is to get some ears that you trust (preferably not trumpet player ears) to describe your sound from 40 - 50 feet. Then you have something to go on.
    As far as finding another horn, I think if you want a "darker" sound, the mouthpiece would be a better place to start. The 3C is pretty brilliant.

7. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    You could finance on WWBW on trumpet purchases. FAQ - Do you offer a credit card? That might help PLUS WWBW is a really cheap site to start with. There is no interest so I think that may be a good way to go if you are really thinking of getting a new trumpet.

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Fix the leadpipe. Play the Getzen for all its worth. Shop around and play every horn you can while setting money aside for a future purchase. Read reviews and all the information you can on TM and other forums. Fixing the leadpipe is not a big task for a qualified repair person and it will buy you time to make a better decision. Getzen has great valves. Don't hurry into buying a new horn until you know for sure which one will work for you in the future as you get better.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Fix the getzen for now. wait till you get to school and see what your teacher recommends. There is such a thing as "too dark". Your sound still needs to have presence. I counsel people on trumpets and mpc all the time. What they think they want and what they need can be two different things. A mpc with a deeper cup will make your sound darker. If you can find a bach 3B around it wound be good to try. The # 14 schilke rim size equals the 3c the deeper cups are available. Check out curry and stork mpc. They are very good. Stork makes the best piccolo mpc anywhere.

Bob G

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Yeouch!!!!! I finally went out and picked up a mouthpiece puller. BEST investment ever. It sat on a shelf doing nothing for 3 months, but it came in VERY handy when the wrong mouthpiece sot stuck in my horn about an hour before a performance!!

I agree that it would be worthwhile getting the horn repaired. I also believe that you'll be able to find something good on e-bay, craigslist, or a pawnshop in your pricerange.

Good luck.