Need Help Choosing A Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupee, May 17, 2009.

1. Dupee

Dupee New Friend

May 17, 2009
    I've been playing a Getzen 700 series for a while now and I really like it. I made it to All-State band on it too. But, unfortunetly it's only and intermediate level trumpet. I found a Bach Strad made back in the 70's that I could possibly buy, but it would probably mean selling my Getzen to the store in order to get enough money. I'm not exactly sure what to do. I can either get an awesome Bach Strad, or keep the trumpet that I've been using for 4 years and have been great on.

Any advice?

2. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    If it aint broke, don't fix it.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing at the music store does not give the real picture about how a horn plays or sounds.

The only thing that you do not have at all-state with a Getzen 700 is bragging rights. The quality of the horn was good enough to qualify though.

NO IMPULSIVE CHANGES. If you are looking for a better instrument, then spend some time playing and comparing.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Save the Getzen and work hard during the summer to save up for the Bach you want. You may be able to get your parents to help you if you're short a few dollars if they see you work hard and show dedication.

5. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Exactly what I would do. Mainly because thats what I'm doing. I just submitted an application to McDonalds a couple of days ago :D
    If it works well for you, don't sell it. I play a student model trumpet but it works well for me so I wouldn't even consider selling it at this time. I'd much rather work over the summer and buy a new horn and keep the other as backup.

6. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It takes a little patience and perseverence, but that's how I got my new Benge 3x+ as a Junior in High School. If you look at my signature line you'll see that was a while ago. Still a good strategy though all these years later, and you'll be happier in the long run. In the meantime you can be trying and comparing horns.

7. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    save the getzen, save some money, buy the pro horn that you want, use the getzen in marching band, never bring the new horn onto a marching field.

8. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
    Save the getzen and use it for marching band (so you don't ding up a new one) check out bach strads, sonare's, yamaha's, and some schilke's, check out this website and call for the absolute best prices around

9. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
  10. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    First, what year are you in high school? From what is sounds, you have progressed in four years to make the All-State band. Taken care of and maintained, your Getzen 700 should be good enough until your senior year at which time you can trade up to a "pro model".

The trumpet does not make a player...it is the player that makes the trumpet.

Yes, pro models are nice and somewhat easier to play, however I can make my Omega, which is an intermediate Bach, sound as good as my Strad.

If you are planning to play after HS and especially in college, I then highly recommend getting the Bach Strad. You will want to be on an equal playing field with them.

As far as the expense, look on eBay which has great deals on Strads. If you go to a music store see if they have used Strads and you could possibly do a lay-a-way plan or get financing. I have always found that if someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way to purchase the item.