need help finding some trumpet parts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wolfeking, May 13, 2012.

1. wolfeking

wolfeking Banned

Apr 2, 2011
    Madison, NC
    okay, So I tried to help a friend out by unsticking his main tuning slide and 3rd valve slides on his trumpet. Well I am not a engineer nor a repair technition, so I broke it. NO big deal, I told him the least I could do is to buy the parts to get it fixed. But I have no idea where to go to get them, nor part numbers to look for.
    Anyway, the horn is a Yamaha ytr4320st and the parts I need are the leadpipe and the main tuning slide.

Thanks in advance for any help you can be.

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    They actually be reparable by a good trumpet tech if you have one close by. My tech can fix near anything and even make parts to fit. Most good techs can make them or order them from specific used parts store. The other option is to find a "parts not working model on eBay and let a tech switch them out.

3. wolfeking

wolfeking Banned

Apr 2, 2011
    Madison, NC
    well, I am 99% sure I broke them beyond repair. Its actually cracked to a point its leaking air at the crook.

the pic here should be able to show how its damaged I think.
    [​IMG]

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yep. Pit your search on eBay for that model. Otherwise someone on here may have some parts laying around. Sorry this happens. Even trumpet techs aren't perfect.

5. wolfeking

wolfeking Banned

Apr 2, 2011
    Madison, NC
    All I am seeing on ebay is 2 good horns and a tune up kit.

Hmm.. Is there like a Yamaha parts store or something I might be able to look at?

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Go to a tech and get them to order the part. It is the fastest and easiest way.
    If you are replacing the the outer upper main tuning slide tube as well, just give the horn to a tech and pay for everything to be done.
    Freeing stuck slides isn't a difficult task, and any repair tech could have done that job relatively quickly.
    At least your friend didn't get violent...

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  7. wolfeking

wolfeking Banned

Apr 2, 2011
    Madison, NC
    I don't have a tech to go to. The nearest one would be probably in greensboro and thats 40+ miles away, or for sure in roanoke, but that is 90+ miles away.

Basically If i can get the parts, there is a machine shop that can weld the leadpipe on, but I will still need the parts to get them installed. :(

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The parts are soldered together not welded - if necessary repairs are not done by a decent tech, the lacquer will also suffer over an excessively large area (burned away). Then even with new parts it will be really ugly.

It only gets worse from here. I suggest a professional before it gets REALLY expensive.

9. wolfeking

wolfeking Banned

Apr 2, 2011
    Madison, NC
    I trust the machine shop here. They fixed my Conn director with minimal damage. Which harkens me back to the original statement of I am not an engineer or repair tech. To me soldering does not stand out from welding with my vocab. I am sure they can do what should be done and save the $50 in fuel to get it to a tech.

10. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Remind me not to let you fix my horn!

Seriously take Rowuk's advice and pony up to see a real tech to fix this. There is a MAJOR difference between a machine shop and musical instrument repair shop. Spend the $, get it done right, otherwise you will pay through the nose to get it redone by the instrument tech after the machine shop mucks it up!