need help finding some trumpet parts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wolfeking, May 13, 2012.

1. wolfeking

wolfeking Banned

Apr 2, 2011
    Madison, NC
    martin, no need to be an arse about it.

Lets go back and look at it from my point of view. To get it to the shop is one thing, but aren't they going to charge hundreds to fix this? at which point I should just buy a new horn?

2. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    You buy a new horn at the point where you feel that it is more cost effective to do so than to repair it. And since this isn't your horn, you also need to talk to the owner and factor in things like personal attachment and sentimental value associated with the horn.

You could very well spend a few hundred on this repair. I do not know the prices for the Yamaha parts, but for example a Bach tuning slide can easily run 230, and a lead pipe another 110, plus the repair cost of labor. That model of Yamaha can usually go for about 450 or so

I don't care if you don't like how I come off in my reply, but I'm giving it to you like it is, no sugar coating from experience. If you'd taken it to an appropriate repair place in the first place, you could have had the slides pulled for about 20 bucks. If you take it now, you're looking at a repair bill of about 375 or so to get it fixed right. As others have said, soldering is a much more delicate procedure than welding is and when you let the machine shop man handle this repair, you've just doubled the repair cost AGAIN because now you have to buy another pipe and slide, plus the likely hood of burned lacquer and a bad looking repair.

Repair shops are around for a reason, the technicians are highly skilled and have lots of training in properly repairing all instruments. You do not, a machine shop does not. Suck it up and start driving

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You broke the horn. You are responsible for properly repairing it.
    The repair won't cost that much. A leadpipe should run maybe $75, and the MTS no more than that. Labour might be another $90 or so.
    Yamaha Parts are generally much cheaper than Bach Parts, and much more easily available due to Yamaha's amazing inventory and shipping.
    Get it done right the first time so you won't have to pay for it twice.

4. wolfeking

wolfeking Banned

Apr 2, 2011
    Madison, NC
    Well Jacob isn't too attached to the horn. As long as he has one he is fine. I am just not too up on how to go about this. If we get the parts and repair it that will be fine. But if it is going to be 500+ to fix it, then I will just buy him a new horn, or just let him have one of mine.
    I am just wary of taking it to the shop as it seems that they are going to rip us off. Last time I took a violin in $30 in parts turned into a $180 repair.

5. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    If you are worried about finding the right shop, a bit more detailed info on where you are and I bet someone here can recommend someone for you in your area.

6. wolfeking

wolfeking Banned

Apr 2, 2011
    Madison, NC
    madison, NC 27025.
    Local cities that might have a shop are Greensboro, Winston-salem, High Point, Martinsville, VA, and Roanoke, VA. I know ridenhour in salem, VA is pretty good, but they cost out the arse to get anything done (the violin was fixed there)

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Parts are only a small part of a repair. It costs money to have someone with the knowledge to do the job properly. If we just charged you for parts, we wouldn't be able to eat.
    A good repair tech also doesn't just look at the symptom, they look at the entire horn to find out the cause of the problem. Every day a customer comes in to ask to only have X fixed on their horn. We tell them that that isn't what is causing the problem, and they complain, and so we fix what they ask for, and then a week later the customer is back complaining about the same problem. This is likely what was going on with your violin. If you know as much about violin repair as you do trumpet repair, then you really can't make a judgement about what the violin repairman charged you.

8. wolfeking

wolfeking Banned

Apr 2, 2011
    Madison, NC
    the violin needed exactly what they charged for it. bridge (including adjustment) and a set of strings. Maybe 30 minutes of work total.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey guys,

let go. This guy came to a trumpet forum, asked for advice, got it and is making a decision based on minimal damage to the pocketbook - not return of the instrument to its previous state (or at least close). The choice is not ours. The horn as is will now bring perhaps $50 in ebay now instead of a couple of 3 to 4 hundred bucks.

As far as "prices" go, I have my doubts that most techs are interested in reselling parts. There still are sources like:
    Mouthpiece Express : Yamaha MTV Leadpipe, 25, Yellow Brass [mk525mtv] - $139.99
    Mouthpiece Express : Yamaha Z Rounded Tuning Slide, Yellow Brass [MKYAMZRY] - $139.99

There is no indication that this is the 4320 leadpipe. If anything, this can serve as a documented price orientation however.

Leadpipe: $139
    Tuning slide: $139
    Installation and shipping: $49

This would have originally been a repair of $30 or less. This horn is out of production, but has been replaced by the 4335 with a list price is well over a grand. Street prices are lower. I don't currently see any used ones.

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    First, I'll answer your question. Mouthpiece Express sells Yamaha parts--looks like it will be $280 plus shipping and then the parts will need to be plated. If you're planning to get it "welded" together at a local machine shop you might as well get it plated at a local jeweler. Probably another hundred for both of those.

Second--you got a lot of good advice about sending the horn to a tech to get it repaired. I'm not a tech, but I've been playing trumpet for more than 50 years. I've seen a lot of damaged horns in that time and I'm betting the required repairs will go beyond simply replacing the lead pipe. Even if you spend $50 for gasoline or shipping the repair may actually end up costing less since big repair shops often have access to used parts. Moreover, they know exactly what they're doing, and repairing other's repair attempts is usually more expensive than the initial repair would have been.