need help finding some trumpet parts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wolfeking, May 13, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Aaaaaaaawwwwww!!!!!! BOO HOO HOO!!! You mean you're not gonna stick around!!!???? DANG!!! I guess we will miss out on more posts on how to help you fix stuff you don't know how to fix from the get go!! :-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Patkins, while I agree he ought to be ashamed. I'll equate such in this person's situation to that of a murderer who should be ashamed that he/she killed, but doesn't say so. Yep, I'm all for incarceration for life without parole or hang 'em high. Since he wants to play the "cheap" card, I'd personally have no qualms with the latter sentence. Yep, Judge Parker (historical Western District of Arkansas Judge) had a permanent gallows erected that could be used for a dozen at a time (purportedly only used for 7 at a time). That's deterrence! My maternal Grandmother once told me if I used such language she'd wash my mouth out with soap. She then only had three kinds of soap, Octagon, Fels-Naptha, and her homemade lye soap. I knew the last two would cause me great harm, and for sure the other didn't taste so good as I did bathe with it and doing so did get a few suds in my mouth. That was deterrence also! Presently my wife rales at me when I say the S word for defecation. But when I hit my thumb with a hammer, or do some other dumb thing, it still is spoken by me but aimed at myself. This guy is incurable and only the Lord can forgive. Certainly, he deserves my ire and shunning.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that the thread owner did not expect the natural reaction of a forum that cherishes a specific instrument as much as we do. I mean that hack is almost like rape.

In any case, I expect the horn will show up in eBay - for parts.

One lesson to be learned: if you want to get your way, it is advisable not to pee on the leg of the person not behaving as you think that they should. That applies as much to us as with the hack. The guy did come here, tell the truth and explain his objectives. With a bit of strokin, this guy could have ended up with a reasonable mail order tech. Probably no chance now unless the owner really gets on his case.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Rowuk, you are entitled to your opinion, but if I were the owner of this Yamaha I'd take it back and send it off to Charlie or Tom for restoration and sue this *^5$# for whatever it costs to do so.

As it is, I'd consider this jerk far beyond reconciliation or mediation. When I'm looking down the barrel of a firearm pointed at me, I Pray I can shoot first. No tech I have knowledge of would deal with this guy ... they only relate to owners of an instrument.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Well, I went to work today and looked up the part number for him. I guess he won't need it now.
    The Main tuning slide assembly is still made by Yamaha. The Leadpipe is discontinued.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    as my Dad would say "Class, you can't hide it! "

8. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    during my undergrad, I'd sarcastically tell friends class was where I was, not what I had...

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ed, I have in the mean time edited just the words in question. I do not believe in censorship. It took a while because I am not available 24X7. I had 2 open air concerts this past weekend and spent essentially no time online. Sorry, my trumpet is my first priority.

A question for the forum: if we always chase off guys like this, are we doing anyone a favor? After his second post it was obvious that there was no shame and after the criticism here increased, indignance replaced the search for help. At the end of the day, the best route would have then been to just send him to Ivan, Brek or one of the other established techs here and let them solve it by PM. If the surface temperature rises too much, things go underground.

What surprises me is that someone with no knowledge would so brutally trash the horn. Even a simple google tells us about soaking the slides overnight - or up to a week and that brute force never works. Brek, Ivan, do you have some worst case pictures - I mean maybe the trumpet manufacturers need to print warnings like the cigarette manufacturers: "Prying slides with screwdrivers can result in death", "Hammers shorten the life of your horn", "Stupid Kills".......

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was going to say manufacturers should etch "Don't Do It !" on the leadpipe just before the slide.