need help finding some trumpet parts

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wolfeking, May 13, 2012.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I think his photo is a start for the 'worst case' scenario.
    I will try to remember to take a photo or two of the next DoD (department of dad) repair that comes through the shop.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I, and many other techs, get horns shipped from all over for repair.

For your information the list price on Yamaha parts which will probably fit are:
    Lead pipe assembly $67.70
    Main tuning slide assembly $83.98

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Am I wrong, but aren't leadpipes somewhat interchangeable between brands ... even that there are custom ones for "tweaking"? May not look original, but they "make do"! Ivan, you know I know about shipping.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The OP is only 20-30 minutes from Winston-Salem or Greensboro. There are plenty of horns on C'list in that price window that would replace the damaged horn and probably be cheaper than a repair.

5. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    There is a lead pipe which lists for about $20. Then you need to fit a mouthpiece receiver, which is not a big deal. However, you need to also fit the tuning slide receiver tube which has to be a perfect diameter match for the tuning slide upper tube. Even with my shop rates (which are less than 2/3rd the shop rate of the local auto repairer) it is not really economical to fabricate an assembly for a low cost horn when the complete one is available. I have fitted Yamaha tuning slides to Shires trumpets, and Bach tuning slides to Edwards trumpets; but the Yamaha in question does not justify such over-capitalization.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Thankfully, he's about 2 1/2 hours West of me. Too, not only no tech, there's not a dealer within 50 miles of me, but I still can get my instruments serviced very well. I just don't like to pay before I play, and I'm currently chasing a brand new 1 K+ instrument for my own usage.

7. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    It gets too depressing.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Their creativity never ceases to amaze though.

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Nana nana nana na na hey hey hey good bye

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My bile is rising also to the smell of this. Time to call and have this trash hauled away.