Need help getting re-motivated!!(Long)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 26, 2010.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Hello everyone. I started playing trumpet again 2 year ago after not touching it for 25 years. When I got back into it, I down-loaded some excersises from the 'net, and bought an etude book to practice. Now I seem to have come to a "stand-still"-playing the same stuff day after day, I am dilligent on my tone work,which I feel is the most important aspect to my playing, and my endurance and range have improved, but it seems that Im just kinda stuck-not hearing any real advances in the last year. I realize I'll never have a career as a trumpet player(Im 50) but I would still like to be my beast whenever I actually get to play in public(I play guitar in my band, but we dont do any tunes that a horn would fit in, and since I play lead guitar, if I were to pick a trumpet oriented song, we couldnt do it) I just dont want to get frustrated to the point of giving up. Sorry this was long!! P.S. I may be going to the local coffee house Friday nite-just me and my horn !!:play:

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    try volunteering for some gigs. I suppose there are old folks homes. you could also volunteer for playing the national anthem for high school sports games. there are community bands -- I suspect if you started playing for other people -- you would be remotivated -- especially if you push the limits of your abilities -- and miss a note here and there --- that should motivate you to practice to be more proficient -- and to keep improving -- but that is just my opinion

3. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Thanks!!! Some good suggestions. However, due to a 9 month lay-off, getting a job(working 60 hrs a week!) and then getting 30 hours cut this past July, I am working darn near everyday and nite-my work days go from 11 am until 10 or 10:30 pm, so I dont have much time. I play in church, but thats been cut way back because Ive had to work on rehearsal nite, and because I work with special needs individuals, I couldnt be able to take them to a "gig",because I have to be pretty much within arms length. But I do appreciate your advice, and hopefully, I can get out and play for someone besides my pets !!!:play:

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    How about a community band. they usually rehearse only once a week. Sounds like you need to play somewhere besides just playing at home. Also look for new stuff to play at home.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    actually my 3 cats are my best audience -- I mean after the first year of my 22 month comeback -- after that time they quit crying when I play. So I must be getting better at actual music - less noise.

60 hr work weeks --- I gotcha -- I am only at 40 hr, and get a chance to play in church every now and then.

here is another suggestion -- I also am unable to make rehearsals for church -- so I volunteer for the "offerings" (ok twice so far) --- which pretty much means -- I only do solos, cause I never get to rehearse with anyone --- but that still helps to motivate when others are listening. "offerings" and "special music" -- how is that??

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Join a local community band. Put yourself in situations that you can't back out of and will be forced to perform. It is amazing what you can do when there are no other choices.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As others have already suggested, I think that you need to find a performance outlet for trumpet. I'm not sure that a community band is going to be the way to go though - I think that for you doing some church work might be a better option. It's late October - see if you can find someplace to play for a Christmas eve service or something and maybe make some money on the side. :-)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can't be just a practice room player - that doesn't work for me. I pretty HAVE to have a performance outlet otherwise my playing stagnates and I lose motivation toward it. It's also my opinion that regular performance stress is something the helps to push you up and beyond what you are normally going to accomplish only in the practice room.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    1) Leave your trumpet out of the case. Out of sight, out of mind. The only time I put my horn in the case is when I'm going to a gig.
    2)Have a certain time(s) of the day you practice
    3)Practice lip slurs (the 7 valve combos) for 7 minutes a day every day.
    4)When you lack motivation, the power of routine will get you through. This means you need to develop a routine.
    good luck

sonicgeo2 likes this.