Need help identifing a Conn trumpet.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rjkossman, May 25, 2013.

1. rjkossman

rjkossman New Friend

Feb 23, 2010
    I recently bought a Conn Bb/C trumpet. The serial number, 198921 indicates it was made in 1923. Read the serial number with the bell pointed up. I need help in identifying the model.

It is silver with gold wash covering the inside of the bell, the bell engraving, slide accents, water keys, top and bottom valve caps, third valve slide ring, finger buttons and valve stems. It has Mother of Pearl finger buttons and inlays on the bottom valve caps. There is no pinky ring or hook. It is nearly pristine with three nearly undetectable marks on the third valve tubing crook.

The second valve slide measures .435” making it a small bore. The slide sticks straight out from the valve, not slanted forward or backward. The Bell is 4-1/2” and the overall length, without mouth piece is 18-7/8”. It has what I believe is the original short shank mouthpiece marked “Conn Opera”. It also came with a vintage aluminum straight mute, marked CG Conn, Maker and has the number 7 stamped on the bottom. I want to believe this also was with the original package along with a gold wash cleaning rod and music lyre.

The case is in beautiful condition on the outside. There is a little fraying of leather where the handle rings meet the handle and the handle leather is showing some cracking. It has the original key in the key slot, secured with a piece of old string. The inside of the case shows much wear, especially where the valve caps contacted the bottom and in the area where the valve casings fit into the case. There is a leather strap to hold the trumpet in place and it is in beautiful condition although the silver finish on the button is worn. There are also some tiny chips in the mother of pearl insets in the bottom valve caps.

Considering the condition of the trumpet and the outside of the case, I wonder if this horn traveled a lot, like perhaps on a train, or was carried, although the handle doesn’t appear that worn. The horn plays beautifully and I am very happy with it.

Can anyone help me identify this horn and perhaps put a value on it?

I don't know how to post pictures on this site but if you would email me at [email protected] I can email pictures to aid in the identification process.

Thank you,
    Bob k

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Your description refers to "the third valve tubing crook" as if there were only one third-valve slide. A Bb/C trumpet will absolutely have to have a full set of slides -- main tuning and the three valve slides -- to switch between Bb and C. Does your trumpet have two sets of slides?

3. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    By the bore size (#1 .438) it is most likely a 22B but possibly a 24B the most visible difference is the bell flare. The 22B has a slower bell flare and the flare on the 24B is shorter and more abrupt. The second slide can either be straight out or angled toward the mouthpiece. My 1923 22B has its second slide angled toward the mouthpiece. Mine is not silver plated so the copper valve casings are visible, I recently had it lacquered and it has had a right hand pinky hook added. I am adding a picture of it with the regular main tuning slide, in this picture the stop rod for Bb-A is missing, I have one for it now. It has the Conn "0" mouthpiece in it. The second picture is with the Bb-A quick change slide, it has a rotary valve to make the pitch change without having to retune. It has the Conn Visible Embroschure mouthpiece in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    straight second slide?? Maybe 5B

5. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    The 5B would be a #1 1/2 .458 bore.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Are there any markings on the receiver?

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    An 18B would match most of the the description, including the 90-degree second-valve slide.

8. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I know we are not to assume anything so might I suggest that you check out the Conn Loyalist website (Conn Loyalist), Christine has a very extensive resource regarding identifying horns.

Ray Z
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.