Need help on a Buxtehude Cantata

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Emile, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Emile

Emile New Friend

Nov 20, 2003
    Amsterdam
    I have been asked to play Cantate No. 13 "Das neugeborne Kindelein" by Buxtehude. The conductor told me that in one movement (the only one which has brass parts) the accompagniment alternates between strings and two cornets and two trumpets.

Now, it was very sleepy when the conductor called me and this didn't ring any bells, but now I realise that Buxtehude would never have written anything for cornet as the instrument didn't exist back then. At first I thought that he misunderstood the names and that the piece was written for two cornettos and two trombones, which was a usual combination in - for instance - pieces by Gabrieli.

But I received my part, and it is marked "trombetta 1". It looks like a typical baroque trumpet part with a range from middle C to high C and frequent playing above the staff. However, it is a hand-written part, so it might be an arrangement of some sort. Also, there is no indication whether it is trumpet in C or trumpet in D, or even something else!

The conductor told me that he has hired amateur players from the local brass band for the other parts, an e-flat cornet player for the first cornet and a b-flat cornet for the second cornet. Also he was planning to hire an amateur trumpet-player for the second trumpet part.

I haven't seen any of the other parts, but I fear that the cornetto parts might be very virtuoso. Also I know for a fact that amateur players around here aren't able to transpose. So I fear that they will simply assume that they will get the right parts for their instruments and study their parts without transposing. Besides, the choice instrument for my part would be a piccolo in A. But I am very curious how an ensemble composed of A-piccolo, E-flat cornet, B-flat trumpet and B-flat cornet would sound and tune!

The biggest problem is that there is only one rehearsal, two hours before the concert. So any major problems which are encountered at the rehearsal are impossible to solve. I will call the conductor tomorrow and discuss my fears with him, but in the meanwhile I would like to know if anyone here is familiar with the piece. It would help me a lot if I knew what the other parts look like and what the original instrumentation is.

Thanks a lot,

2. Emile

Emile New Friend

Nov 20, 2003
    Amsterdam
    An internet search revealed that "Ich bin die Auferstehung" is a seperate work by Buxtehude, BuxWV44 for Solo Baritone, 2 Violine, 2 Gamba, 2 Cornettos, 2 Trumpets, Basdulciaan (no idea what this is in english) and basso continuo.

No recording of this work exists. Does anyone know it? I really want to know what the other parts look like.

Apparently the the "cornet" parts are intented for cornetto. What would be the proper instrument to play these parts in a modern orchestra?