Need Help on my lip trill.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Leicalsf, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Leicalsf

Leicalsf New Friend

Mar 29, 2007
    Canada
    Hello guys, i'm currenty getting my hands on Oskar Bohme Trumpet Concerto in F minor Op.18 There's this one spot in the first movement that i'm struggling with technically....
    At the beginning of bar 70, there's a trill, A to B natural.... both notes can be played with same fingering, and that means i'll have to play it with lip trill... and i just can't nail that spot yet...
    Any one would kindly offer me some suggestion of practicing lip trill at this range? Thanks!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Leicaslf,
    lip trills are like anything else, time and dedication solves the problem.
    I start my students on E/F# (123) then F/G (13), F#/G#(123), G/A(13 or 12), G#/A#(23 or 1) then A/B (12 or 2).
    We start with a slur between the 2 notes and with Tah - ee - ah - ee - ah try to get the slurs clean, then every day with a metronome try to build speed. Just stick with the E/F#(123) for the first week or so. You will not tire as quickly and can therefore rehearse the necessary tongue movement longer. To build a new skill you must dedicate time EVERY DAY until it works!
    When I first started this, it took me 2 months to get it down. Now it is almost second nature. Comes in handy with the natural trumpet too!

3. Leicalsf

Leicalsf New Friend

Mar 29, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks rowuk, i'll start trying your method today..!!!:-)

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A tip to make Rowuk's excellent exercise easier:

Instead of trilling from the lower note to the higher one, imagine trilling from the higher one to the lower one. Have fun!

5. OdieLopez3

OdieLopez3 New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    Yeah dont forget the key word here time. Everything takes time so if you feel you cant get it yet take it easy, take a break, then try it again. Dont get frustrated because in reality everything takes time and if you can understand that then everything else comes into play more smoothly. Be patient with yourself it'll come.