Need HELP on Rock club date repertoire

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Venturion, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Venturion

Venturion New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Got a possible sub gig coming up, but it is with a rock/clubdate band, not my usual thing at all. They have no charts, and while the material is somewhat familiar (being the ubiquitous pop/top40 stuff we've probably all heard forever on radio), I've never played it, except for some Wilson Pickett / James Brown (r.i.p.) stuff when I was in rock band during High School 30 years ago.

Anyway, here is a list that the guitarist forwarded to me. I don't have any of this on CDs, no music books on this material. (I've managed to stay mainly in the jazz area and some "classical" for most of my playing career. I count myself lucky.) BUT, I can see that to be a more rounded player, I should be familiar with this whole genre of music. Memorized, no less.

Problem is, I don't know if I can get up to speed on all this material in time for the gig. Hate to say "no" to a job.

In any case, I'd still like to get to know this material and if there is an efficient way to get parts or charts without spending a fortune on CDs and transcribing for days on end. And this is only the tip of the iceberg, I reckon.

Life is too short. Any suggestions? Any compendia or horn-chart fake books anyone knows about?

Many thanks,

-- Venturion

P.S. Do you think trumpeters of the year 2307 will regard the horn lines to this stuff with the same careful veneration that we bring to the Brandenburg 2 or Joy Spring?

The List:
    Miss You - The Stones
    Mustang Sally - Commitments
    Your Mama Don't Dance - Loggins/Messina
    Wild Nights - Mellencamp

Black Magic Women - Santana
    Oye Como Va - Santana

Let's Dance - David Bowie
    What I Like About You - Romantics
    ROCK in the USA - Mellencamp
    Jenny 8675309 - Tommy TuTone
    Domino - Van Morrison

Easy - The Commodores

Get Ready - Temptations
    Aint Too Proud to Beg - Temptations
    Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett
    I Feel Good - James Brown
    My Girl - Temptations
    Can't Get Next to You - Temptations

Set 2 Artist
    Start Me Up - The Stones
    Long Train Running - Doobie Brothers
    Dance to the Music - Sly a Stone
    Brick House - Commodores
    Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
    This Love - Maroon5
    Walk This Way - AeroSmith

Saw Her Standing - There Beatles
    Twist and Shout - Beatles
    Brown Sugar - The Stones
    Sweet Home Alabama - Lynard Sknard
    Road House Blues - The Doors
    Sunshine of Your Love - Cream

Have I Told You Lately - Rod Stewart

Set 3 Artist
    Shotgun - Funk Brothers
    Hold On I'm Coming - Sam and Dave
    Sex Machine/Fire - James Brown
    Soul Man - Blues Brothers
    Land of 1000 Dances - Wilson Picket
    Shout - Otis Day Kights
    Do You Love Me - The Contours

10th Avenue Freeze Out - Bruce Springsteen
    Signed Sealed Delivered - Michael McDonald
    Knock on Wood - Wilson Picket
    Sugar Pie Honey Bunch - 4 Tops
    Runaround - Blues Traveler
    I Shot the Sheriff - Marley/Clapton
    Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton

2. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    Some of these you can find on Youtube.com.

"Play that funky music" by Wild Cherry for instance: YouTube - Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music (Music Video)

I love this song! And it's not that hard to play either. You gotta learn the moves though. Pay attention to the guys in the wind section when not playing. :cool:

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Venturion:

I wouldn't want to be you. :-o

Finding legitimate, "real" horn parts for half of those tunes is next to impossible. I'm lucky - the rock band I'm in has all the parts written out by our lead sax player.

If you're not good at "faking it"...well...you may be in for a long night.

GZ

4. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    Another thing is that if you're not into this kind of music, which you imply in your post, it is going to be a tidious task.

How much time do you have to prepare?
    How much practice time with the band do you get?
    Are there any other horns there? Do they have any charts?

I would concider picking out a selection of the songs where you can do the most good. Many of the songs don't originally have any horn section in them. Talk to the other band members about it.

Also it is better to not accept a job when you know you're not prepared for it.

5. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    That seems like an awful lot of songs for one night, just do the math!

Is there another horn player on the gig that knows the book? Do they at least have a full time sax player?

As someone else asked above, how long do you have to prepare?

Do they at least have some board tapes laying around?

Having never played most of this material as you stated I would think without charts or some sort of map it would take you a month of daily over and over practicing to even memorize all of this material...

You do have to ask yourself a few questions... Is the time and effort having to spend countless hours worth one club date. Forget the money, I can almost predict that you won't be compensated nearly enough for all the work you'll have to do just for one night. Is this a good band with a potential for future work for you? Maybe they just want you to be familiar enough with the tune that you can plug your own parts when you see fit... That would the deal!

Tough spot to be in for sure...

Good Luck!

Regards,

Tony G

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  6. Venturion

Venturion New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Although I've got good ears, can improvise as a matter of course, and hazy memory of a number of these selections, I agree that it is not a perfect fit.

There would be no rehearsal, no charts, just show up and do it. I don't know the band or the leader, this is a long distance sub situation. I am prepared not to accept the gig, although it hurt$ to decline.

Before I do that, though, I was hoping there might be some "Real Book" for Top40 rock*, that would have horn parts indicated, that anyone may know about. Or someone with their own painstakingly compiled collection willing to share.

I think it'd still be a good idea to get edjumicated about this style . . .

-- V.

*Now, there's a business opportunity for the motivated transcriber with lots of discretionary time on his/her hands. Not me, however!

7. Venturion

Venturion New Friend

Aug 24, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    BTW, I just checked out the Wild Cherry YouTube link . . .

Great groove! but I don't see myself spinning around in red pants and suspenders. This would be a BIG mistake . . . It'd probably end up on YouTube to my eternal chagrin, and the howling laughter of my colleagues.

I may need to rethink this gig . . .