Need help on Trumpet options-Concerned with brightness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TheSlur, Mar 13, 2009.

1. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    I am about to get a Getzen 3050, and I am in high school, so I have a question concerning brightness from trumpet additions. What I want on the trumpet is a .462 bore, reverse leadpipe, and round crook Jazz Tuning slide. I am not real "to date" on any trumpet vocab. Will all these additions brighten the horn significantly? I have heard mixed answers from both my band director and different sources around the internet. I know that there are some pros around hereso can anybody answer that? Take into mind I also own a Bach Megatone that is my main mouthpiece. My ONLY mouthpiece.Thanks for the help:play:

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The specific parameters you mention will affect the slotting and the blow of the trumpet considerably more than they will affect the brightness. Tone color, an oft debated concept here at TM, is more a result of 1) the player's concept of the sound he wants to achieve, 2) the mouthpiece - particularly cup depth, and 3) the horn itself, weight, bell material, taper, and thickness - more than bore size and tuning slide shape and bracing.

Megatone by itself means little. What are its number and letter? If you own only one mouthpiece you may be the only trumpet player in the entire universe with that distinction. (well, almost) If you continue your trumpet adventure that will change, I promise you.

Using the search feature for "bright", "dark", "tone", etc will take you to a lot of thread discussions on the topic.

veery

3. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Thank you so much. I am a young player and I hope make music my career so I will often use this site for much information. Thanks for the input. BTW, It is a standard 3C.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Slur,
    "tone color" is one of the most misunderstood factors in trumpet playing. Most of the time the player judges from the perspective behind the horn - that has NOTHING to do with what the audience gets. The next "judgement" factor are the players in the band or orchestra sitting directly in front of you. They are also have no "objective" opinion, as they get everything unfiltered.

The bottom line is what the audience gets and physics comes into play here. High frequencies (the "brightness") are damped by the air making the sound less bright the further away you are. Most symphony players that I know have a brilliant sound up close that is perfect from the audience perspective. Jazz players using microphones could in theory get away with a darker sound, but that is not picked up as well by the microphones.

You say that you are a young player. I would forget about "bright" and "dark" and concentrate on "big" and "elegant". Very often complaints about sound quality are not accurately presented. Terrible tone often has to do with pubescent testosterone (ever hear a high school girl that practices with a really nasty tone? Not me.) than the wrong hardware or practice routine.

You are buying a really first rate instrument. Focus on beautiful in everything that you play. Your sound will then be like a chameleon - without messing with the hardware!

5. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Thank you rowuk! I am glad that I have had my questions cleared up.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi theslur,generally trumpet players (aruguablly) will fall into one of two areas, bright sounding or dark sounding. However, rowuk said something to you that I whole heartedly agree with regardless of whether you are dark sounding or bright. "Always play beautiful"
    The variables you mentined will probably effect slotting more than sound. If your sound is too bright for a particular setting, I would recommend a ringmute for shutting down some of the brightness. Sometimes you can find one used on ebay. good luck

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  7. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Yeah, my band director always talked to me about brightness and I kind of jumped to conclusions about many of these things that I have mentioned. Thanks for all the advice.

8. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    You may want to look into there option of a heavy gold brass bell. They say it darkens the sound considerable.I would say you made a great choice in equipment both in horn and mpc.The mega"s are slightly more open than there standard pieces and that along with the added weight are great sounding pieces.Glad you see that your worried more about your sound and not your range.You pick a great all around player good in any setting.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Please, please, please: no hardware solutions for a software problems.

If the band director complained, it is NOTHING that a new horn can solve. Only more elegant playing will solve the problem. AFTER that, perhaps the motivation that a new horn can generate may be worth considering. the problem is the brain and ears. New hardware will only increase the confusion.

FIX THE PROBLEM - do not get distracted from the goal!

10. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Rowuk, I was just thinking... It seems like you use the word "testosterone" in every other post. It's almost like you try and work it in like that ha ha...