Need help on Trumpet options-Concerned with brightness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TheSlur, Mar 13, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    HSO,
    I have 4 children, 3 boys (28, 23, 18) and a girl (17). Believe me, I know firsthand the effects of hormones/testosterone in a lot more life situations than just playing trumpet. Many things get twisted out of shape as a teen. Other mechanisms mess us up later.

There is a lot of "low level" drive in pubescent males. Girls may scratch each others eyes out, but I have yet to experience a female teen that is really brutal with her own horn or chops.

If I mention testosterone, that is a good indication of what audience I think is most attracted to a thread.........................

2. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Rowuk,There is nothing in his post that states he has a problem with playing to bright.He merly asked if bore size (462),reverse lead pipe and a round tuning slide add to the brightness of a horn.I think you might have taken trumpet additions as trumpet auditions?I merly stated that the trumpet he is already getting is a good all around choice along with his 3c.I really love the interest you take in the young players.Thanks for all the time you donate on this site brother!:thumbsup:

3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I resemble that remark, and even at 46 years of age. Not that I don't try to control it, but for example in martial arts we sometimes comment that a woman has an advantage on certain techniques because she is less likely to "muscle it." Contrarywise, sometimes I'll do something through strenght (not even realizing that's what I'm doing), and then I practice against someone bigger and stonger, and I have to "adjust" what I am doing to be more subtle, more technical if you will - it improves my technique. For that, it's better for my ego to practice with less muscular training partners, but it's when I work with the "big guys" that I refine my technique.

On trumpet, the first thought with my "comeback" is "where is my range." It's certainly not the only thing to be concerned about, but it was in my first post here on trumpetmaster. Hm, puberty was over a long time ago, but "Tim the Trumpet Man Taylor" lives inside me . . . RUH RUH RUH. Gotta keep it in check.

Back to the OP's opening comment, I think that read in a certain way, the OP could have been saying that his band leader was compaining about him being too bright, but I actually interpreted what he said to be more like the band leader suggesting he get a new trumpet that sounds "nice and bright. . ." Communication 101, we all tend to decode a given sentance based on what we "expect" to be reading, or on how we would have phrased a sentence. I would be interested to find out which the OP was trying to communicate - or even if it was something else.

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    you obviously havent met me yet, i am fourteen years old, i practice three hours a day normally, and when possible five. my chops dont actualy die at five, it takes seven for them to start hurting. but yeah i am pretty brutal on my chops

Bachstul likes this.