Need help with an investigation in intonation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Markie, Feb 2, 2009.

1. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Check IWK Messtechnik were there is a huge amount of serious information as well as a design program.
    Best wishes

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Brassonline,
    We're familiar with the austrian firm Messtechnik and thank you for letting us know, we can use all the help we can get. In this survey, we're looking for trumpet players to try this little experiment and report back what they hear.

3. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Anyway, the experiment has been done tenths...
    That's 'cause sympathy vibrations, and there would be additional harmonics (if you could heard, it's not easy) resulting of the sum (A3=440Hz x2 would sound an additional A4 at 880Hz). If a chord, or an octave, is being played, the rest of the values is also noticiable (A4=880Hz LESS A2=220hz would be 660Hz).
    The sum of impedance when playing at unison would be as mf+mf=F, talking is simple words.
    i'm sure you understand.
    Although there are lots of interesting experiments that have been already performed, it's always interesting to do it again.
    For me, the Victor Mahillon's experiment with trumpets made from brass or cardboard: the result was amazing !!!
    The second one is the train wagon plenty of trumpet players for Mr. Doppler (Doppler effect and the awakening of Sonar, Radar and ecography):
    Oh if I were there !!! How much fun I could get !!!
    BEST WISHES !!!

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Brassonline,
    I've not investigated Mahillion, (a fault on my part and thank you for the tip) but if I'm reading you correctly,then the hypothesis would be correct in that when two trumpet players play a single tuning note in unison and at a balanced volume, the trumpet players should be able to get the sensation of the other person's sound coming out of their trumpet.
    For example, if you and I were playing a single tone with perfect intonation and with balanced volume, I can look at the bell of my trumpet and hear a little of your trumpet coming out of my trumpet. right?
    If you have any other site we can investigate, that would be great and thank you soooo much for the tip on Victor's work.

5. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Well...
    Victor Mahillon was a revolutionary in most senses for the trumpet, as he invented a D valved trumpet, using a Roman Buccina in the early XXth, as well as an F trumpet.
    When the historical music was discovered (Bach, Haendel...) the old playing technic was lost (or almost, it survived in France, as the French Horn players were/still being obligated to play natural horn) and Victor invented the firsts examples of "speciallity trumpets" as well as the Piccolo.
    Sources on the net... I supose there's a lot over there, but my knowledge came from serious study on Spanish, German and French books (Zarlino, Pithagoras...). If you come to Spain, were I will move shortly, you're invited to check some books.
    Best wishes !!!

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    WOW thank you for the kind offer.Of the books that cover or was written by Mahillion, which two do you recommend that would best fit this particular survey? I might be able to get them through an interlibrary loan process.