Need help with mouthpeices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bstratt, Jan 16, 2009.

1. bstratt

bstratt New Friend

Dec 12, 2008
    Lewiston Idaho
    Hi everyone. I have this delima.I"ve listened to advise about mouthpeices and for the most part, the advise I'e heard is good. But,. this is whats going on. By my reading and all, most players like and use something like a bach 3c, so I bought one. I love it because it sounds really good and it seems to have great "response" if you will. But here is my problem. I cant hit notes well. Ok. So I go another route and I buy a bach 10c which is a whole lot smaller. I can all notes the I should be doing, I mean it really imjproved my playing but the sound is a little airy and when I come down off of high notes like "high c" cause I like the upper register and I am trying to improve my range, I cant play notes below low c. Does that make sense. I like the way the 3c sounds but I cant play it well. I know that I will be looking for another mouthpeice shortly. Does anyone have any suggestions. :dontknow:

2. roryhislop

roryhislop New Friend

Dec 19, 2008
    I know what your talking about and seriously the only solution is stick it out with your 3c. Your high playing with suffer for a bit but once your moth has adjusted and built up strength it will totally. I bought a 1x and I could barley play above F on the staff and I was says away from giving up when I could finally play to the same range and better than before when i was playing a lead mouthpiece. Just stick it out, you will not regret it. (With lots of practice mind you)

3. monstirz

monstirz New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    Henderson Nv
    You will need more practice time to make the 3c work..,try schlossberg for 30 minutes uo to 2 hours a day.rest and play equal amounts of time. then build your time with lip trills and it will come..,be patient mouth muscles are like weight lifting it requires consistent attention.:D

4. sleepingdancer

sleepingdancer New Friend

Jan 11, 2009
    Budapest, Hungary
    you may perhaps try a 6c.

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Dylan mentions the sensible way to go about things.

A well traveled route asks the student to blow much cash foolishly buying mouthpieces. They make great paperweights.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, bstratt you are now in the position that almost ALL trumpet players run into at some point. I think your success with a little extra range on the 10C (which is still a good mouthpiece) is only a short-term win. The answer you probably don't want to hear is to keep practicing on the better sounding 3C and wait for the higher stuff to come to you...but I think that would be the wise choice.

I'm assuming that you're a younger player, so if that's true you have MANY years ahead of you to improve your range. Starting now on the 3C would likely be a better foundation for you in the long run.

Hell, Arturo Sandoval played on a 3C for many years, and he managed to hit the stratosphere with it. Good luck!

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

I have a counter-intuitive thought, here.

Certainly, ALL of the advice offered so far is solid. However, there is another way to look at it. The CONVENTIONAL wisdom is to take the 3C and learn how to play high on it - strengthening your chops, if you will. You could also, just as well take the 10C and learn how to play LOW on IT! If you drop your jaw and pivot the bell upwards a bit, it will play the lower register just fine, with a bit of practice.

It's a question of balance. If your "meat and potatoes" range is up high, not playing too many low notes, use the 10C. If you spend more time down low use the 3C. Certainly the 3C will have a better response down low and the 10C up high.

I use different mouthpieces depending on the gig. If I;m going to be playing a screaming big band gig, I'll use a Lynch 342 Asymmetric or a Wedge 7FC-25 in stainless steel. If I'm going to play a legit gig, I use a Wedge 3CC-25 with a weighted BB. That is not a whole lot different from your using the 3C for concert band and the 10C for jazz.

You just need to make sure you PRACTICE on BOTH mouthpieces to leanr the feel of each and what you can expect from each. I can play the finale to the Bartok Concerto just fine with the 3CC, but I wouldn't want to tackle Maynard's version of People with it. Then the other two will come out of my pocket.

Here's what I would NOT recommend. I wouldn't get into the habit of switchng mouthpieces in the course of a gig. Plan ahead and decide what the gig requires and then stick with it when you get there.

FWIIW...

Peace.

Nick

8. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Excellent advice, I'd reccomend that you do stay with your current piece until you can exactly pinpoint what is not to your liking, and then decide from there whether this is a playing issue or a gear issue. By simply playing a lot, you will eventually decide what is going on, and then you know what the root of the problem is to address it.

9. bstratt

bstratt New Friend

Dec 12, 2008
    Lewiston Idaho
    Thanks everyone. I put my 3c back into my trumpet and I'm doing better. I guess all my practicing has payed off. I practice at least an hour, maybe two a day. Tone is very clear and my accuaracy has improved.

10. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    I used a 3C, after learning how to play on a 5B, and it is akward at first. The trick is to not give up on playing the mouthpiece unless it is honestly not working for you after (I would say) at least one month of practice. Your chops are not going to adjust to a new mouthpiece immediately. Also, picking a mouthpiece is a lot like picking a horn; you want to test a few out before you buy one. You need to test all the things you would test when buying a new horn and make sure it doesn't give you a headache. My teacher always told me that the first time you play a new mouthpiece is how you will sound after you've gotten used to it.

As far as your range problem goes, most of your notes will sound airy until you can play them with ease. My advice would be to play scales over an octave or two, and hold the last note for 4 counts or longer. Make sure you are in tune the whole time also. Do that for about a week, then go up another note and do the same thing. Try just adding it into your daily warm up, at the end of your warm up after you've done some slurs. Do that for a few weeks or months (depending on what range you want) and you'll be able to pop notes out with ease.

Caution: if you get a headache, STOP, take a deep breath, and play some low notes and maybe pedal tones. The last thing you want is to pass out when playing.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009