Need help with mouthpeices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bstratt, Jan 16, 2009.

1. John Dover

John Dover New Friend

Jan 13, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Glad to hear you are having some positive results. I would also like to advise you to get with a private instructor if you do not already. They will be your best guide for what is coming out of the bell and can provide that all important in person support system for the tough times:)

Keep up the practice.

2. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    I had the exact same problem in high school when I finally switched from a 7C to a 3C. My range suffered for a short time. It's completely normal and to be expected. With your usual practice, the range will return once your chops have adjusted to the mouthpiece.

There's a reason so many folks play on a 3C at some point or another. . . it's that good of an all-around mouthpiece!

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I agree with John Dover. With a private trumpet teacher you'll make better progress and learn good playing habits. Which on a trumpet is critical. What you describe is not a mpc selection problem, it's an embochure development problem. Even tough you're practicing a good amount of time, if you're playing with bad habits, your progress will be limited.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA

Nick,
    I respect you and your opinions VERY much. Hell, you're a heck of a better player than me and I am serisouly not trying to start anything with my comments. I just think we should clarify something for the younger players. The 2nd and 3rd paragrpaghs of the quote
    I COMPLETELY agree with. Great, solid, sound advice. Dont get into the habit of switching on a gig.
    Now, in the first paragraph you mentioned "pivoting"... please clarify on this. My reason: A lot of beginners hear of the "pivot" system and other systems in terms of learning range, blah blah. They get into the habit of going into extremes (extreme down bell for higher notes, extreme up bell for lower) especially if they have over/underbites and it really messes with their technique and playing. So when they try to play octave jumps (even from low C to 3rd space C) they are moving so many things, so physically that they honestly cannot play their horn. Lookin' forward to your response. Take care Sir, and please accept any apologies, I'm not trying to start anything. I've just had to re-teach too many beginners.

5. Sparks

Sparks New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Why not learn to play well on the 3c? If your having trouble going low with the 10c, and the tone is airy and stuffy, why use the 10c mouthpiece just to get an extra note or two? Overtime it'll just weaken your embochure muscles adjusting to the 10c. Many players still use a 3c for jazz. I wouldn't look to a 10c as a quick fix.

6. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Here"s my two cents.If you are a new player,I think that the 3c is the best of the two.But if you have a fair amount of time in you could play both depending on what your doing.For years I played strictly a 1 1/2c bach mega .But for the last three months I settled on a olds 7c along side the 1 1/2 depending on what I am playing or practicing.It has helped me play drills and etudes that I could never get through strictly on the 1 1/2c.I really think it has helped center my positioning on the larger mpc making it easier to play also.If your a new player you might think of setting for something in between, like say a 7c, this way you would have a little of boths worlds.A fair amount of student horns come standard with a 7c making it a decent pick.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A good private teacher can help you stay on track and you will make more rapid advancement. try it, You'll thank us later