Need help with my Trumpet learning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misthosg, Mar 9, 2016.

1. misthosg

misthosg New Friend

Mar 20, 2015
    Hey all,

I am a Sophomore and High School and my main axe is Tuba. I have been playing for about 5 years now, and I am really loving Tuba.
    Since last year, I have been wanting to learn trumpet.
    Last year I bought a trumpet, and started to practice. But I have trouble when I practice, since I am coming from mouthpieces that are completely different in size, and I tend to see my lips swell on the trumpet, just practicing for a small bit. If you guys could give some tips for me that would be great!

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Greenshield

Greenshield New Friend

Dec 6, 2015
    Nebraska
    Are you using a lot of pressure against your lips when you play the trumpet?

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Don't pressure yourself my sir! I transit between P-bone and trumpet and french horn often and have no problem on all of them!

4. Dalecon

Dalecon New Friend

Feb 26, 2016
    Ottawa
    Really just a need to get used to the very different size of mouthpiece, different animals. I used to switch between baritone and trumpet, and is was ok, but they are very different.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret to how to be successful in learning to play an instrument:

Practice and work on it, every day.

That, and this bit of wisdom that I actually have hung on the wall in my practice room: Rome wasn't built in a day.

Translation: be diligent, but also be patient. Most of the time the results we seek with an instrument will not come in a matter of days, but rather it's a process of learning that takes weeks, months, and even years in some cases.

Recently there has been a lot in the media about Dr. Seuss due to remembrance of his birthday on March 2nd. One of the stories that surfaces was just how many times he got rejected before he found a publisher willing to take a chance on the book he had written. 27 times. Let me repeat that - 27 times. If he hadn't believed in himself and had the tenacity to continue to push forth, it's possible that we would never have gotten to experience the classics that we read in our youths.

The same thing goes with playing an instrument - in the beginning stages it's not always easy, but if you believe in yourself and continue to push through, you WILL make the progress you are seeking! Keep us posted on how thing go for you! :-)

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Once upon a time I played a tuba ... the truth is that many times I've played a tuba and just once a Sousaphone. For a short while in my comeback I played a CC tuba, but now diagnosed with COPD I quit the big basses and sold the preowned CC tuba for more than I paid for it. Nearing 80 yo, I'm still playing piccolo trumpet, cornet, Bb trumpet and euphonium. I'd also be playing my tenor trombone, but my slides are now not as accurate as they once were, nor as fast as they need be.

With this prologue, from bass to treble with the trumpet brings to play the syndrome of the left elbow pushing the trumpet mouthpiece too hard against the lips as is perhaps the biggest deterrent to getting a great sound from the trumpet. I've stated it many times, but its a fact that you need no more pressure than an air seal between the mouthpiece and your lips, albeit you'll watch many pros seemingly ignore this comment. I can only suggest you develop an attitude of "make do" with any mouthpiece you use ... even if it is a biting Bach 7C. Too, practice in segments with equal duration of rests between these segments. Some days now I'm lucky and can play a segment for 1/2 hour, but usually it is only 20 minutes.

Otherwise, it helps us to help you when we know which trumpet ... make and model ... you are using. Too, which mouthpiece.

7. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    See if you can get a more senior trumpet player (who has his/her shit together) to tutor you. In a way, you're a beginning trumpeter, so pretend that you know nothing about trumpet and work from there.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Tuba or not Tuba... That is the question...

My God man, you are posting on trumpetmaster. Wha da ya thing we'd say...
    So here it comes, my bias:

Focus only on the trumpet, God's instrument.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way... welcome to TM... were we leave our egos at the door.

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am jealous - I can't play Tuba... tried a few times, but my lowest note is somewhere around the middle range. I can pedal tone on Trombone, but Tuba escapes me.

Nothing to add to help you, except aim on getting the bottom C (Bb concert) partial, and work up. Repetition and practice.
    Good luck