Need help with my Trumpet learning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misthosg, Mar 9, 2016.

1. misthosg

misthosg New Friend

Mar 20, 2015
    Hello, I usually try not to, but i end up doing so. Are there any tips what you guys could give me? Thanks

2. misthosg

misthosg New Friend

Mar 20, 2015
    I would focus on it, as I really would like to learn jazz, but I am auditioning for the all state band, so I don't want to drop tuba, but I also want to really further my knowledge of trumpet playing.

3. misthosg

misthosg New Friend

Mar 20, 2015

Thanks!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The "bottom C" as Peter put it is the C on the ledger line between the bass and treble clefs as is played on Bb trumpet with no valves depressed. The fingering chart for a Bb trumpet can be found by internet search engine. I like the Conn Selmer one. Supposedly the range of a Bb trumpet begins on F# on the fourth line of the bass clef, but in the many years I've been playing it has been elusive to me and I've yet to see any Bb trumpet part as requires it.

5. Greenshield

Greenshield New Friend

Dec 6, 2015
    Nebraska
    I'm sure you'll get some excellent input from those far more experienced than I, but what has worked for me is not trying to force my range up past where I can play comfortably. I do most of my practicing within my comfortable range where I don't need pressure to help hit the note. Then I'll set aside time that's specifically to work on expanding my range where I'm much more careful about avoiding bad habits like using pressure.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    With the tuba, we place the mouthpiece over the lips and blow. Proportion of upper to lower lip are not really a big issue early on. The trumpet mouthpiece being much smaller doesn't quite work this way. Sometimes with the trumpet we even have to roll our lips in a bit to get the correct vibrating surface.

Over the internet it is impossible to give you a recipe. A suggestion however seems to be in place: during spring break or summer vacation, devote 2 or 3 weeks (or more) to trumpet only. Then you have a chance to get preliminary habits built and your brain is no longer as confused about what to do with the trumpet.

7. misthosg

misthosg New Friend

Mar 20, 2015
    Will do! Thank you