Need help with stuck parts in my friend's trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hanrhee, Aug 22, 2009.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Did they let you watch to see how they did it? I wonder if it was as big a deal as all of the posts here.

2. hanrhee

hanrhee New Friend

Aug 14, 2008
    No, they had a big workshop at the back of the store and just took the trumpet into a room. I haven't heard from them yet. They told me that it might take about 2 weeks because of other work-orders. I'm waiting for the outcome. I will post it here and let you guys know.
    Thanks.

3. repairguy

repairguy New Friend

Sep 8, 2009
    Kennesaw, Georgia.
    Typically, the corrosion causes the metal to fuse together over a prolonged time. The most effective way of removing stuck slides is applying penetrating oil where the inner and outer slides join, then apply heat to allow the oil to cut between the fused metals. Often, the process has to be repeated depending on the level of corrosion. As to the actual pulling of the slide, there are numerous tools and techniques used in the removal itself - slide pulling mandrels, pliers, etc. As a repair tech, I would suggest letting a reputable shop do the job correctly. Once the slides are removed, a complete and thorough cleaning is in order to remove the corrosion from the instrument. It can be time consuming if the corrosion is left unattended for an extended period of time.

Hope that helps.
    Kevin

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You might want to check out Marvel Mystery oil. Its what I use to loosen metal that's fused together. I discovered it years ago by way of this guy that was a machinist.
    he said "this is what we use to loosen bolts that are old and fused"
    The stuff really works.

5. tbaldrid

tbaldrid Pianissimo User

Oct 10, 2009
    I've tried all of the suggestions in this thread on three vintage cornets with stuck slides and managed to tear apart a tuning slide on one of them, leaving pieces of it still stuck in the horn (A vintage silver H. N. White King Master with the coolest 30's art deco engraving on the bell--I'm still grieving/cursing myself). I've used PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, WD-40, even filled a very old Karl Fischer cornet with Marvel Mystery Oil and let it sit for three days (hard to get all that stuff out of the horn afterwards, BTW.) Then I read another post on this subject that suggested Kano Aero Kroil. Since I got it in the mail last night I've freed 3 VERY frozen slides in two pre-1930 cornets, each in a matter of minutes with no damage to the horns. I wish I could find the posting that suggested it so I could thank the poster. You can order it online. Be advised it comes labeled "for industrial use only" and has some pretty stern health warnings. I wear gloves and use it outdoors then thoroughly clean the horns.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Removing tuning slides that have come apart while still on the horn isn't a very difficult fix, but is one that an experienced tech should be left to do. It involves soldering a piece of metal to the stuck slide and putting it in the vice. I use an old mouthpiece to do it. Works 99.9% of the time.

7. tbaldrid

tbaldrid Pianissimo User

Oct 10, 2009
    Thanks Brekelefuw, that's good to know. I tried getting one of the slides out with long-nose pliers and only managed to screw up the outer tube while leaving pieces of the slide in there. I learned my lesson on this one.

8. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    Man, with it taking a couple or so weeks, maybe it sounds like my method is faster! Like tbaldrid said, it is a little difficult getting the stuff out once its done. I gave her two baths, scrubbed the entire trumpet out, took a sponge with the rough side, damp it, and rubbed it on the slides to get that crap off. Including what the previous owner had on it. Now to this day she plays great, if only I could get rid of that Red rot...

9. 3 weelin geezer

3 weelin geezer New Friend

Feb 27, 2009
    You know, I scored me a nice trumpet on eBay a while back that "some awful, naughty kid" twisted the lead pipe all to hell trying to get the mouthpeice off with vice grips. Busted the supports and kinked the crook. Other than that, it was great.

God, I love those naughty kids!

Got the siamese mouthpeice seperated real easy ...with an air hammer ( it was already buggered up by the jaws anyways) . Just turn down the psi do it just bumps it off or use proper tool if available.

I should follow that kid around as he busts trumpets so I can get them for a song! :thumbsup: :play: