Need help with tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JD_93, Jan 13, 2010.

1. JD_93

JD_93 New Friend

Apr 4, 2009
    Hey guys, i have a little problem.. I have to go trough tests at trumpet to enter highschool.....in 1 month.

Im working on a sonata from handel. It was a choice from the highschool.
    The tempo is allegro, so i would play it at 120 but... i cant tongue fast enough for all the sixtheent.

Can't make my tongue go faster, should i go with double tonguing ?
    I dont know much about it, if you could explain a bit would be nice :)

2. solocornet

solocornet New Friend

Jan 11, 2010
    Gosford, Australia
    Hi JD. Single tounging is Ta Ta Ta. Double tonguing in Ta Ka Ta Ka Ta Ka. Triple tonguing is Ta Ta Ka Ta Ta Ka Ta Ta Ka.

Start of really slowly with the double and work up speed gradually. It will take a bit of time so don't expect miracles. Practice fast single tonguing often, too.

120 bpm is at the slow end of allegro and 160 bpm is at the top end. Sounds like you may need to put in more practice?

3. Einar

Einar Pianissimo User

Dec 18, 2009
    i learnd that it's Tu not Ta and Ku not Ka

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Clean fast tonguing is not something that happens overnight with new technique. Play your audition a bit slower, but cleanly. Do not try and "rush" the development. Usually only bad habits result.

The real you is always more believable and desirable than you with a big bandaid.

Tonguing is tuuu, tiiii, teee, taaa, tooo, kooo, keee, kaaaa, kuuuu, kiiii, doooo, diiii, daaaa, duuu, deee, gaaa, geee, giiii, gooo, guuuu and everything in between.

16ths at 120 should be single tonguable but doubletonguing often gives another effect. The consummate trumpeter needs it ALLLLL!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Clean fast tonguing is not something that happens overnight with new technique. Play your audition a bit slower, but cleanly. Do not try and "rush" the development. Usually only bad habits result.

The real you is always more believable and desirable than you with a big bandaid.

Tonguing is tuuu, tiiii, teee, taaa, tooo, kooo, keee, kaaaa, kuuuu, kiiii, doooo, diiii, daaaa, duuu, deee, gaaa, geee, giiii, gooo, guuuu and everything in between.

16ths at 120 should be single tonguable but doubletonguing often gives another effect. The consummate trumpeter needs it ALLLLL!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Allegro means "happy." It does not mean 120 beats per minute. The above advice is good, but making music trumps techinique.