Need help!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by videoman1994, Apr 7, 2009.

1. videoman1994

videoman1994 New Friend

Apr 7, 2009
    Well, I just got my braces off, yay, but there come a problem, I am practically the trumpet of the section that if I don't play then they all get lost. With my braces off I am having a much harder time playing, which is bad because I have state jazz solo and ensemble and I have district concert band, I have no idea what I should do now. cause I dont want to be the cause of our band getting the worst possible rating. I need help soon. any suggestions I will try, I am in a desperate state on what to do.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Videoman,
    you have NO CHOICE. Your body will decide how long it takes. You can influence the situation a bit by NOT going to any rehearsals for the next two weeks. Take that time and play TONS of long tones, slurs, scales, basic articulation and EASY tunes at no louder than piano. Try and get a half hour in before school and another HOUR or TWO afterwards. DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING FOR TWO WEEKS. Just play as softly as you can, take BIG breaths and play as much as possible.

NO ENSEMBLES. If you try and fill the part, you have to twist your face and do unhealthy things until the geometry has settled down. That is a bad habit that you also will have to unlearn!!!!!!!!!!!
    You need to build new habits and any force will slow the process down

3. videoman1994

videoman1994 New Friend

Apr 7, 2009
    then thank god for this, I got my braces off last week and I am off for spring break now; next week tuesday will be about 2 weeks, which is when I get back from break, so I should maybe pratice simple tuning scales, and songs, or should I do something else?

note: concert band festival isnt until after a week when I go back to school.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    just play softly without force. Anything that fits that bill is fine. Go to church and get a hymnbook. there are HUNDREDS of hours of tunes. Practice playing the melody and the alto part in concert pitch (one whole step up). Then you will have learned C transposition at the same time! Long tones and slurs will speed the process up!

5. videoman1994

videoman1994 New Friend

Apr 7, 2009
    Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated.