Need Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by smcmlln, Sep 11, 2009.

1. smcmlln

smcmlln New Friend

Sep 10, 2009
    TN
    Okay, Here is my problem. I'm a horn player, and I have a real beautiful mellow tone. When I pick up a trumpet, My tone sucks. I know on my horn I use the lower portion of the mouth piece. On the trumpet, I try to play in the center.And another question. I'm looking into getting a new cornet, which is a better type of pistons for a cornet? Rotary or Piston? I'm not sure which is going to be better for me since I use to play horn

Thanks

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you want to improve your tone on the trumpet then I'd say to play it exclusively for a while until you get closer to the sound you're looking for. This may hurt your horn playing, but you have to decide which you want to do more.

As for which is "better" between piston and rotary for a cornet I'd say it comes down to personal preference. I prefer pistons...

3. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    You may also consider getting a mpc that is more "french horn-like". V shaped...with a thinner rim. This might make things feel more natural/familiar to you - resulting in a better trumpet sound for "you".

As for the cornet...eh... I have no experience there. Perhaps... the same might apply for this. Familiarity....rotary might help you.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Like wilox 96 I think you just need to play the trumpet more to get use to it. The trumpet has more resistance and you need to just let your body get use to it. I don't think you need to lay off the horn unless you are not playing for a while. You will never forget the horn. It will always feel like home to you. I don't rcommend getting a horn like rim on your trumpet mpc. Because you'll be playing higher pitches with more compression, the wider trumpet rim helps to destribute the added mpc pressure.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If you don't have the option of going exclusively to the trumpet, you just need to keep at it on a long-term, though slower, basis. The sound that you make on a trumpet (as with any instrument) is highly controlled by what you hear as feedback and subconscious attempts by the body (lips in particular) to adjust that sound. You just are not used to that sound and the corrections that are needed to change it. Even a trumpet player who picks up another trumpet which has substantially different sound and 'feel' from the one he is used to playing will have some difficulty adjusting to the new trumpet. So, don't be discouraged. It is just a matter of getting used to it. You will need to go thorough the same mental gymnastics that the rest of us have regarding the selection of a mouthpiece. Maybe one that is similar to a horn MP will be better - maybe not. There is no formula for that. It is very much a matter of personal preference, testing, and practice. There is no substitute for practice. So, relax, have fun, and let it come to you.

Regarding a cornet, all of mine are conventional piston-style. But, if I were you, I would try a rotary-valve model. Not only are you used to rotary valves, but that type of cornet is very unusual and will generate a lot of attention and interest wherever you play it. And, most of the rotary models that I have seen are high quality and good playing so you should wind up with something really nice to play.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Regarding the rotary vs piston debate, it really doesn't matter and just the fact that you play horn will have no bearing on which is better for you, since you still press your finger down to activate the piston or rotor. I play both instruments and find no difference in how the instruments are fingered (other than the differences in the actual fingerings, of course).

I would second the advice to get a mouthpiece which is shaped more like your horn mouthpiece. The problem you're having with the trumpet is that your lips are used to great mobility in the very deep true V-shape of the horn mouthpiece and the cup shape of the trumpet mouthpiece is restricting their motion and neither your lip muscles nor your playing brain are used to that change. And they don't need to get used to it, if you get a very deep trumpet mouthpiece.

7. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    The embouchure for the horn and trumpet are different. Playing one way may affect the other. Also, check to see if the embouchures are correct.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You might want to stick with the horn if your sound is beautiful. Some people play all their lives and never really achieve a beautiful sound. I'd be careful flip flopping around if you're being totally honest about your horn sound.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm rather drawn to Markie's idea. I have to say, my most favourite Band experiences are when the trumpet line is arranged to sit behind the horns :thumbsup:. The sound focusses my need to play as musically as I can, so that I don't become discordant with the glorious sound from the horns - perhaps I'm a frustrated horn player, who knows :dontknow:. I always think it a shame that that great sound isn't projected more toward the audience - but rest assured, some of us trumpeteers rather fancy the tones coming back to us. And if the horns are played by ...... no, let's not go there :oops:. I know a horn player, great musician, plays horn and trumpet with equal ease and quality of sound - so what you seek is very possible.

10. smcmlln

smcmlln New Friend

Sep 10, 2009
    TN
    One of the reasons I am trying to get more into trumpet is the more of a variety of styles of music I can get into. You would morely see a tumpet sax and a trombone in a brass section of performers and all. I Love the idea of a better mouth piece. I"m using a Getzen 5c Mouthpiece. Maybe that mouthpiece has more compression than what I'm use to. The cornet I'm playing is an old one. I"m trying to get use to play while I'm trying to fix it up. Removing dents and stripping polishing and relacquering it. You can see the horn. Look under the Vintage section for the auto crat post. Another thing I can see giving me problems. the embouchure to the fingering postions.