Need New Car - Help me pick it out…

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by DrunkIQ, Apr 2, 2004.

1. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Ok,

I need to get a new car by mid-June and am already starting to research what I want. Currently I drive a Montero Sport Limited. I do not need a four seat vehicle. I also do not want another truck.

I had planned to get a convertible Corvette this summer but the payments will probably make my monthly budget way too tight for comfort. I really have not kept up with cars for a while but cruised through edmumds.com really fast and found a couple that caught my attention. Of these three which one you would pick?

Chrysler Crossfire
    Nissan 350z (Touring model)
    Mazda RX-8

Thanks,

-marc

p.s. Do you think the DMV will let me get a plate that says Drunkiq?

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    chrysler baby. the car dealer in my town got one in, and Ive seen him driving it around and Ive seen people out on test drives and that thing sounds mad sweet. plus, you gotta support the home grown brands, ignoring the fact that only 10% of the car is actually made in the u.s, but oh well, I still think its a cool car.

3. mops

mops New Friend

Feb 25, 2004
    Yeah I'd go with the Crossfire too.....but isn't this a trumpet forum?

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    LOL!

Well, you have to understand that I work with a bunch of engineers…

When I ran through the cars this afternoon and found these three I proceeded to ask each one of them separately which they would choose. Strangely they all chose the same one for “engineering†reasons. Hmm…

Posting here in the lounge I can get an opinion of people that I have more in common with outside of my day job. I would guess posting this at a car buff forum would give me pretty much the same strong opinions I received at work. Besides they do have horns.

-marc

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    DrunkIQ, just my opinion, but I've owned all three of the "Big Three". I'd put Chrysler engineering and design (innovation) ahead of the rest. I'd put Ford in last place. But I've gotta say that if you want reliability, comfort, quality production and assembly, go GM. I'm driving a 95 Bonneville that's a tic away from 200,000 miles (I bought it with 70,000 miles on it). I've given it ONE tuneup in all that time: had to replace the plastic top inlet manifold "air box", and... that's it. It still cruises at 75 all day long, gets the same mileage as when I bought it, the upholstery looks brand new (not a wear spot on it), starts in all weather. The shocks, brake calipers and discs, alternator, starter, rad, water pump... all original. Oil pressure still runs up around 60 psi on the highway and hot idles at 25 with 10/30.

I found the equivalent models in Chrysler to be light, have weaker suspension components, hard on brakes, and... I'm sorry but... that "cabin forward" design leaves me feeling claustrophobic the way the windshield comes down in the corners of your vision. Yeah, they go like stink in a straight line... but when I "head out on the highway" I want comfort and reliability with a nice touch of performance. Now... I can't say I've ever tried any of the "sporty" models... since I"m 6'4, my wife is 6'0 and my 15 year old twins are both 6'+ (I'm afraid to measure them again), well we don't exactly fit inside a Focus or a "Starzoom 7".

Fer what it's worth. (but I know what I'll be buying after I finally have to put a bullet through this one's head!)

6. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    I would go with the RX-8 or the 350-Z. Those are refined cars. Do you want to try your luck on a first year Chrysler. I dont care all that much for the styling of the Chrysler. The RX-8 and 350 are sweet proven cars. my opinion.

7. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    Get the corvette.

if not, get the Crossfire

8. dHoff

dHoff Pianissimo User

Feb 13, 2004
    Woodstock, NY
    These cars are designed to be drive. It's kind of like Horns that are built to play. Drive them all and buy what makes you happy! Each is going to bring great joy to anyone who truly loves them.

any opinions other than yours are irrellevant.

Or should we say that there is one best trumpet for every player?

-dH

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Marc,

Good choices. I'd also check out the Honda S2000, the Infiniti G35 and BMW 3, all great cars.

Have fun!

Greg

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Or just hang in there until the new 350 HP, rear wheel drive GTO hits the showrooms!