Need Piano Advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Sep 9, 2015.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    How Many Here Double On Piano? Advice Needed

I'm in a situation where due to medical issues trumpet is out of the question and I am leaning toward piano so I need advice on getting started and I need some suggestions on books as the short term goal is to self start without a teacher and the long term goal is to continue piano and hope to balance it with returning to trumpet in the distant future.

2. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    Re: How Many Here Double On Piano? Advice Needed

The Willis Music co. publishes an Adult Piano Course under the name John Thompson, and I am sure other publishers have similar series. As you advance I would recommend "Scales, Chords & Arpeggios" by James Bastien. At some point you might want to look at a series for sight reading and the Hanon Virtuoso Piano by Schirmer, for when you have advanced even further.

One advantage of learning the piano is that you will learn to read both clefts of the music, and reading music will be a head start when you are able to take up the trumpet.

3. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    "John Thompson's Modern Course for the Piano" is sort of the "Arban's" of piano.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN

Sorry to hear about your medical condition, bamajazzlady. Best wishes to you concerning piano playing.
    Jim

5. snazzypadgett

snazzypadgett New Friend

Oct 13, 2009
    What style are you interested in playing? For Classical, there are many great pieces to learn that will start you on the path to accompanying.

For Jazz piano, I'd recommend this book by Mark Levine for a clear and thorough overview: The Jazz Piano Book: Mark Levine: 9780961470159: Amazon.com: Books
    For more in-depth jazz piano exercises and guides to various styles, check out this series by Bill Dobbins: The contemporary jazz pianist: A comprehensive approach to keyboard improvisation: Bill Dobbins: Amazon.com: Books The first volume (linked) should provide tons of great material to last a long time.

Doubling is a great choice, kudos on your decision!

6. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Have you played before? There is a series called Alfred's Basic Adult piano course. It moves more quickly than most beginner books aimed towards kids. But it also starts at the beginning to make sure you learn fundamentals. Go to Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums | Forums powered by UBB.threads™ for the Piano version of TrumpetMaster (There is an Adult Beginner forum and a lot of really helpful people there).

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  8. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs

I assume you have access to a keyboard - if not - i would try a simple electronic keyboard to explore your interest. if it is successful you then can look into a real piano or upgraded electronic.
    In terms of training - you likely know the melody lines and notes (maybe the chords). I would start exploring by ear. Play around with the scales. Play around with what you already know from being a trumpet person. Your assumed experience with jazz should support the ear training. After you do this for a while you can then search for a technique series that suits you and your goals.

9. Yamypappy

Yamypappy New Friend

Jul 3, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    Unless you are a musical prodigy, playing the piano well is not something you can learn on your own. I studied piano for 7 years, then switched to organ. Didn't actually learn the trumpet until I was 40. The series I took lessons out of was John Schaum series. I think it is still around. Yes, it is written for children, but it does work. You don't have to know scales, as for trumpet, though learning them for trumpet helped my organ playing considerably. I agree with fels that you should get either a key board, or an electronic piano. The electronic piano will give you the most realistic effects, as it has the pedals and dynamic keying. In addition to simply playing the notes, the sustain pedal and the force you exert on the keys translates into proper phrasing and musicality. Spend a lot of time going up and down the scales (usually C) practicing bringing your thumb under so you don't have to stop just because you have run out of fingers. I still do that for warm ups.

Here in Raleigh, piano teachers seem to be about everywhere. My grand daughter takes lessons from a teacher who comes to her house! We used to have to go to the teachers house. What will they think of next...

Anyway, good luck, and keep making music.

Wade

10. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Bamajazzlady.... Sorry, no help from here BUT very sorry to learn that you have to discontinue your trumpet... I have enjoyed our PMs and your contributions to TM. Best of luck. JA