Need practice tips for using no mouthpiece pressure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by raif, Jan 16, 2015.

1. raif

raif New Friend

Feb 26, 2009
    Greetings. It is often discussed and recommended that we use as little mouthpiece pressure as possible. I'm wondering if anyone has a systematic way to develop this technique?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Practice using less pressure. Seems simple enough to me. Welcome to the forum!

3. Djmennis

Djmennis New Friend

Sep 25, 2014
    Cincinnati
    There was a thread the other day that feature a video of Harrelson doing just that. Absolutely no pressure. Personally I put my pinky on top of hook and try to hold my horn as loose handed as possible. My range ain't great but it works. Using Harrelson's way it was tough to get a good top of staff E. Definately relax and try not to pull on your trumpet because that makes it harder to even kick your 3rd slide out

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Learn to play ppp. This is a highly effective way to reduce pressure.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have also found that using the phwoooo technique over traditional buzzing relives pressure.

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I do not recommend this to anyone....
    But when my wife superglues my lips to my mouthpiece when she catches me napping during a practice, I can EASILY squeal out a double high C without even the least pressure!
    Of course, it then takes days before the mouthpiece loosens and falls off. Until then, it is all practice and an ENSURE diet through a straw.
    I wonder if an mild adhesive film on the rim could be an interesting innovation? Pad AND seal...:-P

7. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    That or some sort of soft rubber, akin to the first Conn mouthpieces and eventually Couesnon-Guilbaut mouthpieces.

As for pressureless playing, I take my left hand, keep it flat (as if I'm high-fiving someone), and I rest the valve block-bell-attachment area on the area between my thumb and index finger, while touching just the top buttons with the fingertips of my right hand.

8. Emi

Emi New Friend

Jan 8, 2015
    I'm not a very experienced trumpet player, but I am experienced in brass playing. What I do is lip slurs throughout the range of the instrument at nice soft volume using slow and really think of the pitch. Not just blow and blow for the notes. Remember, today's squeaks are tomorrow's screams!

9. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    I'm glad the body of your thread says "as little pressure as possible" vs the thread title of "no pressure". Becuase playing a trumpet with no pressure is about as likely to happen as getting through life with no pressure........ :)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Through life's little pressures, we advance. For life's big pressures, we evolve. Controlling the pressure, that's a good thing... one valve at a time.