Need some advice for rhythm...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Apr 21, 2011.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    This fall, I'll be moving to a different college, and rhythm has always been my week point. If I hear someone play a rhythm, I can replicate it very well. However, just looking at notes on the page, I have trouble playing the rhythm for a more an unfamiliar melody.

Is there a free (or reasonalby-priced) music software where I can upload certain rhythms and it will play it for me (I don't even care about the pitches, just the rhythm). Any other advice? I've tried using the software "Derive 6.0", but it's a lot of work converting rhythms into mathematical formulas, and then transferring it to a sound software just so that I can hear a certain rhythm. Thanks.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When I was in 8th grade I was the first chair player in our jr band and played in the high school jazz band (not lead) .. couldn't read and didn't even know the names of the notes.. I got by like you are now .. great memory.. and ear
    I found a great instructor who had me reading polyrythyms and very complex passages within a pretty short time .. this is how we did it.
    Metronome .. starting out slow..
    tappin my foot and using a pencil to identify the down beats..
    saying one -ee--an--ee .. while trying to figure out the passages..
    take it slow and be very deliberate ... with your ear you should be tearing up it in no time.
    I would definitely practice with the trumpet ...
    my take ..
    Carl Fischer The Complete Sight Reading Etude Collection for Trumpet Book - Free Shipping, Lowest Prices on Brass Instruments at Music & Arts

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Subdivide and conquer! A quarter-note is four sixteenths long, and as you play simple stuff the "one-e-and-a" works great. You can turn everything into sixteenths and, for example instead of playing a quarter play the four sixteenths. After a while it will stick in your head, and you'll be set.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ie
    eighth note------ eigth note----- dotted eigth note .. sixteenth note ... .......quarter note
    1 -- ee --------- an --ee ________ 1--ee --an -------- ee____________1-ee-an--ee
    simple ... do it slow and deliberately

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    For all jazz applications, this book seems useful (haven't started to really work on it, I'm concentrating on classical)

Rythms Complete by Charles Colin and Bugs Bower, at Colin Publications, New York, NY.
    charlescolin.com

It refers these:
    Schillinger: Encyclopedia of rythms
    Yaus: Easy Steps to Rythm