Need some advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decentplayer, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Ok, I admit, I got a cheap pocket trumpet. I didn't like the resistance the Jean basptiste had when I tried it. I love the sound of the pocket trumpet alot. Of course, I'm having valve problems. I don't know if it's from excess spit or just that the valves suck. I took apart the valves and looked at the spring. It was perfect, not worn or rusted etc. What I was wondering is, do you think if I got different springs, perhaps ones that are a little stronger, maybe that would help. I know that cheap valves etc are just that cheap. But, I really love how the horn sounds and the fact there is no resistance at all. I'd really like to keep playing the horn if I can. Any suggestions besides, "you get what you pay for"??

2. Decentplayer

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Oh, and also. I have tried 3 different valve oils: Bach, ultra pure, jean baptiste and the crappy one that came with the trumpet.

3. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    What's wrong with the valves? I briefly had a Chinese trumpet, and the 1st-valve spring was noticeably weaker than the others. Stretching it out helped, but not much. The valves seemed to work smoothly enough, though.

When looking around on Google I saw that some of the colored pocket trumpets have lacquer inside the casings (dunked rather than sprayed?). I don't imagine that would help the action.

What's the name on the trumpet? "My" music store is getting its first pocket trumpet in this week, and I may not be able to fight the temptation any longer. "Hudson" or something I think they're called. (They're also getting in a Chinese knock-off of a Yamaha French horn - $650 (single, not double - that's a knock-off of a Conn). I figure the pocket trumpet will thus actually be saving me money.)

4. Decentplayer

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    When I'm playing a song, sometimes one of the valves doesn't come back up. I have noticed that when they stick and I take out the valve that is sticking, there is alot of spit on the bottom cap. It's a cecilio. Sometimes they stick and sometimes they don't. I have the gold one and there is no lacquer inside. I looking inside the valve casings and everything seems fine. No sharp edges to get stuck on etc.

5. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

Make sure you check the valve casings and pistons for hangups. Wipe them carefully with soft cloth. Try a valve oil with teflon such as Zaja Blue. Check the advertisers here to see if they carry a teflon product.

I have a pocket trumpet (import) and it is fun to play, but it will not be the horn that my other horns are. I didn't buy one the expensive pocket trumpets that are available, so I don't expect more.

I do keep the pocket trumpet clean and oiled. It gets lots of "raised eyebrows and smiles" when I play it which for a "novelty" horn that it is.

They are lots of fun to play!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You should probably give the horn a bath first. Take it all apart and put everything except the valves in hot water with dishwashing liquid. After 45 min-1 hour, run a trombone snake (brush) through the horn to get everything out. Rinse the horn out a couple of times and then run a dry lint free rag through the valve casings to dry them. Wash the valves by hand, making sure that you do not get the felts wet. Let the horn dry overnight and then oil the valves and reassemble the horn. If they still stick after that, you need to have a pro look at them.

7. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    I also play on occassion a cheap "Monique" pocket trumpet when I am jumping on tables or bars at the end of the night. Use only Al Cass Valve oil for over 30 years on all my horns, I find it to work the best. Rowuk has some good advice for cleaning the horn, also have found it helps to store the horn in its original case so the valve stems are kept in perfect alignment during transport.

8. Decentplayer

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    TY RO and others for your advice. I will try the cleaning thing and hope it helps. Do you think it's possible also to just get different springs. I have an old beat up trumpet that I don't use and maybe I could just put those springs in and see what happens.

9. Decentplayer

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    The other old trumpet I have is a Holten collegiate and after sitting for yrs, the valves work smooth as silk.

10. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Yeah, it was the Cecilio that had the lacquer inside the casings, but only the blue one was mentioned. I couldn't figure out if it was one guy who posted at multiple sites about it or a lot of different people.

In this review from Amazon a guy describes working the valves in - his were sticky at first, too, but he says they're fine now.
    Amazon.com: Cecilio Gold Plated Bb Pocket Trumpet: Musical Instruments