Need some design ideas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Jun 23, 2014.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I currently work as a computer programmer in an engineering lab. As such, I have access to all sorts of CAD software. In addition, the school has various CNC lathes and milling machines that can be used by students for almost no price; all you have to buy is the material. I was thinking I might take advantage and design some simple trumpet parts, like a finger button, or a valve cap. Does anyone have an idea where to start? Maybe a certain program?

2. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    SURFCAM and SolidEdge/SolidWorks are worth your serious consideration. AutoCAD is also a standard package that many CAD designers start with ... talk to the instructors at the school, explaining what you desire to do, and they will help you determine what would be best for you and hopefully they can give you the mentoring support to gain the needed skills.

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Cannonball is in your neck of the woods. Why not check them out? (I was impressed with the Lynx trumpet).

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Many people use AutoCAD.
    Harrelson uses Rhino.
    I use Solid Edge, but only to draw blueprints. All my tool and part making is done manually.

5. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I actually have some friends that work with them on designing instruments. Right now, I'm just trying some little stuff here and there. We do have most of the software mentioned, so I'll try learning one. Thanks!

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Just to add a little perspective, programmes such as AutoCad are not only fearsomely expensive, but will take a good 6 months of daily use to come to terms with. Fortunately, my applications for AutoCad are all 2-D, but I have come across very many engineers with lousy 2-D AutoCad skills. 3-D is a pretty serious time investment even for those with a good aptitude.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ahhh crap --- I thought you were going to design a totally cool trumpet --- made out of aluminum or some other lightweight material that will vibrate better ---or perhaps a super large bore trumpet (but not as big as a trombone bore) -- maybe only a .472 bore

8. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I have used AutoCad for many years. But it has a learning curve not unlike learning to play another instrument. If you already play the trumpet, imagine learning to play the trombone well enough to perform in public at a basic level. That is the kind of learning curve you are facing.