Need Some Direction

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skankin'dan, May 20, 2008.

1. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Well folks, it's that time... for a new trumpet =D Sure, this one's served me well, but it's a student model and I plan to go somewhere with my music playing (not a career, but definitely still go with it).So, sooner or later I would buy one anyways, but I feel now is a good time.

That being said, does anyone know where I can look on the internet (or even right here in Winnipeg if you happen to know) for profession models that are in good shape and really cheap. So if anyone can push me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated. Also, I'm not really all toosure what's good and not, so If you can suggest some specific trumpets, that would be awesome too.

Thanks to all for their time and suggestions =)

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Go to Long and McQuade. They can get you most standard pro models from Bach to Yamaha to Schilke to Courtois etc etc etc.

3. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Oh, I forgot to mention I'd like to keep it under a grand, and if at all possible 800 bucks. I know it's a long shot for sure... but hey, doesn't hurt to dream = P

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    By all means try out as many horns you can until the right one finds you! Don't be shy about trying out some "intermediate" instruments--whatever that means.

(For what it is worth, I consider Getzen the best value in trumpets.)

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I bought my Strad for 8-900$ used 15 years ago. What's weird is that you can almost get the same used horn for the same price today.

Unfortunaltly, if Winnipeg is anything like Quebec City, your choices are most likely limited to Yamaha or Bach.

But there are many other candidates you could try (Getzen?)

6. Original_Username

Original_Username Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2008
    Beijing, China
    Well, the under a grand could be a problem. Most trumpets under a grand are used or vintage (not that that's a problem).

I would buy a pre-strike Bach (back when quality wasn't too much of a consistency problem) or even the vintage Bach Strads (i.e. NY or Mt. Vernon), a Schilke, vintage Conn, Selmer Radial, or Selmer K-Modified. Benge made some great horns but I don't know anything about them.

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Gosh, no. My guess is, even a deal will run $700. That's what I paid for my old Selmer.

Oh, why not join the 22B crowd?? $350 more or less??

Visit all the pawn shops you can drive to?

Good luck and have fun :)