Need some help with old trumpet,vaulation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by scsracing, Dec 16, 2009.

1. scsracing

scsracing New Friend

Dec 16, 2009
    Hi Guys and gals.

Right first off i know nothing about instruments atall. I am looking for some advise and a valuation if possible

I got this trumpet/cornet after my Grandad died as it was his and he played it a lot round the Hastings area.

I know its either a trumpet or a cornet but that's about it.

I have polished it up but there are some marks on it as it has had a lot of use over the decades.I think it is quite old as the box is a bit battered and inside was a invite to a concert in 1961.

The trumpet has written on it

The clippertone
    Excelsior sonorous
    Class A
    Hawkes & Son
    Denmam stncrt
    Piccadilly circus
    London

I can't make out some of the letters so the names might be slightly out.

The mouth peice says on it:

Rudy muck
    cushion rim
    Made in england
    17c

And the stand is 'notenstander' which was made in western Germany so old to before 1989(berlin wall,east and west)

Anyway heres the pictures .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really just wondering if it holds any value or should i just keep it.

Any reply would be appreciated.

Scott

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice Looking. Never seen one with that extra slide(?).

3. scsracing

scsracing New Friend

Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks for the reply.What is a slide ,is it that extra u shaped peice?

4. Domwon

Domwon New Friend

Oct 23, 2009
    Has anyone heard of a Telecaster trumpet? I believe its made by York. I tried but can't figure out how to start my own discussion.

5. kwgbright

kwgbright New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    Escondido, CA
    Really beautiful! Thank you for sharing your pictures!

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Nice old trumpet! Hawkes & Son merged with Boosey & Co. in 1930 to form Boosey & Hawkes, so your trumpet was made before 1930. Go to this site:

Horn-u-copia - Index

Look around under "Boosey & Hawkes" and you'll find a little history. Post your question and your pictures there and you may get a knowledgeable answer.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Yes, the U-shaped pieces are called slides because they move in and out. You will find that the extra one in the photo should be able to be exchanged with the large slide currently in the trumpet (this does appear to be a trumpet, partly because trumpets and cornets take different mouthpieces and this one appears to be a trumpet mouthpiece). Now, exactly why there are two large slides is not clear. Some model trumpets have two slides of different lengths (the length is measured only on the part that does not insert inside of the other pipes) so that the musical key can be changed (most commonly from Bflat to A). However, this extra slide does not appear to be any longer than the one in the trumpet. Also, on this trumpet, the key change is accomplished by rotating the large round valve which has the extra vertical 'loop' attached to it. That extra loop adds length to the overall size of the trumpet and lowers the musical key from Bflat to A. The only difference I can see on the slide is that the one in the trumpet has a straight, vertical brace (Called the "D" brace because it sort of forms the letter D with the curve of the slide) while the extra slide has the oval ring-type brace. It makes me wonder if that extra slide really goes with this trumpet as the brace style does not match anything else. You might try removing the large slide and inserting the spare one (carefully) to see if it actually fits.

Anyway, its an interesting instrument but due to its age, it will be difficult to find much information about it. The real question is how it plays. Some people buy instruments as part of a collection while others buy them to play. Some are worth far more as players than as collectibles. If you can find someone who is a trumpet player and ask them to test it, that would add a lot to help answer the question about how valuable it is.

Good luck. Someone may copy your photo and post it at Horn-u-copia for reference if that is OK with you.

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Contact Trumpetmike via Private Message. He should be able to give you a real-world valuation and might be able to get you in touch with a buyer.

9. Gaucho Viejo

Gaucho Viejo Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2008
    Palouse, Washington
    It certainly shined up very nicely. It looks like a very nice horn to me and, since it was Grand-dad's, maybe you should hang on to it and learn to play some (we'd, I'm sure, be glad to help all we can with that). As an aside - the Rudy Muck mouthpiece is probably pretty valuable all by itself. There's a very informative site dealing with all things Rudy Muck that you might want to go to; he made custom mouthpieces for some pretty heavyweight players. The site has some interesting history of Rudy's mouthpieces, trumpets and philandering . . . interesting reading.

10. scsracing

scsracing New Friend

Dec 16, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies guys its appreciated .I will try to see if the slide fits later along with looking at some of the sites and contacting trumpetmike.:cool:

Thanks Scott