Need some help with old trumpet,vaulation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by scsracing, Dec 16, 2009.

1. scsracing

scsracing New Friend

Dec 16, 2009
    Right the 2nd slide is shorter than the first but fits in fine when i try to put it in:-).

I understand that the pro model comes with 2 tuning slides to change it from the old high pitch to low pitch,could be what the spare slide is for then:D

I can get someone to see if it plays but the last time it was used it worked fine and had had regular maintenance as my granddad played it quite a lot.

Scott

2. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Hi,

The Clippertone was a top of the line professional triumpet in its day, and is still a fine instrument. There are plenty of people that would love to own one, including myself.

As to value, they arent much sought after and so the prices arent high. I would expect a good example to go for anything from 50 to 150 dollars depending on who is buying nd its condition, its all down to luck with lesser known instruments.

Yours appears to be in exceptional condition, but it still might not sell for much. Dont sell on ebay it might only go for pennies and you have to sell whatever the winning bid was, I would hold on to it, it may very well increase in value over the next few years.

The clipper was played in orchestras and dance bands by some of the best players and is said to have beautiful tone. Have it assessed by a good trumpet repairer, and they will be able to give you an opinion on it, if it needs some minor work like new corks and a re-felt (they usually do), then the repairer can do that for you at the same time.

Regrds

Brian

3. Dave Wright

Dave Wright New Friend

Mar 3, 2012
    Colchester, England
    Upon closer inspection you will find that the slides may be marked HP or LP thus signifying the appropriate slide to used according to the pitch in which you are playing/tuned. High pitch was dispensed with in the UK on the brassband scene in the mid sixties, although the US abandoned it well before then.
    The Clippertone I own, came complete with all 4 slides to change the instrument to high or low pitch. It is perfectly possible to bring the instrument into normal Bb pitch even with the HP slides fitted, but the intonation of the instrument will not be very accurate and will take a lot of "lip work" to compensate for this.
    Hope this helps.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3 1/2 years w/o activity from the OP suggests he will never see your/our responses. It is a cool looking horn though.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Too scary??

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe this??

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    My usual:
    [​IMG]

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's pretty good, but I was trying to avoid gore. You never know when someone would see it (breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc.). Hey, did we hijack this thread?? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]