Need to clean horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RX-2Fan, Oct 23, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I yhave not been out to California in a long time. All my Mom's family is in California. I will have to look in the laundry section next time I go to the store. I have been doing laundry since I was six year's old and have never seen the stuff. If it is priced better then the Bakeing Soda I will have to stock up on it! Thanks for the head's up!!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The Sodium Bi-Carbonate (called bi-carb soda, or sometimes just carb soda) trick is very good for cleaning tarnish off silverplated trumpets - general cleaning uses simple soapy water (good quality hand dishwashing liquid - not machine detergents, they are too harsh)

To one pint of hot water add 1 tablespoon of bi-carb soda and one teaspoon of non iodised cooking salt - stir until dissolved.

Place a large sheet of aluminium foil to cover the bottom of a plastic container, place your silverplated trumpet onto the foil and pour the solution over the trumpet until the trumpet is completely covered - obviously you will need to mix sufficient solution to do this based on the formula. The trumpet needs to touch the foil.

This is not suitable for lacquered instruments.

Leave the trumpet, sans valves, in the solution for 30 mins or so and check how the tarnish is coming off (this WILL NOT remove silverplate just the tarnish) - remove, rinse very thoroughly and polish as necessary.

3. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    That sodium carbonate thing sounds pretty cool, ill probably try it next time i need to clean it. thanks

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    RX-2, Now that you have your horn nice and shiney, you'll probably get little advantage from the sodium bi-carbonate. If you want to have a fiddle, dig into the spoon drawer and find an old silver spoon that's gone black with age - do the carb soda thing on that and watch the magic.